Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lexus RX

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Actually, this is NOT true. Drive the way the EPA did and you STILL don't make those numbers in MANY cases. The EPA is a "best case" scenario, not a "real life" scenario.
If you take YOUR Highlander and put it on a dynamometer and drive the EPA "route" you will get the EPA numbers.

If you drive well, on an good route people easily exceed the EPA numbers. My Camry was rated at 40/38 and is now rated at 33/34. My average over 28k miles is 39.8 MPG.

If you are a typical driver (with plenty of brake dust on the front wheels) you will likely get 34 MPG. Which is what the EPA now rates the car at.

The new testing method is definitely more real world. All of Toyotas hybrids (with typical) drivers are getting the new numbers.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

And don't EVEN get me going on how Toyota (originally) mis-represented the Tax benefits (I got about $1,200 of the "promised" $2,600 tax credit. Many others got ZIPPO, NADA, blank).
Nobody promised a $2600 tax credit. I'm 99.9% sure Toyota's site disclaimed - "not tax advice, talk to your tax advisor".

If you did, you would have known that the AMT would bite you.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
If you take YOUR Highlander and put it on a dynamometer and drive the EPA "route" you will get the EPA numbers.

If you drive well, on an good route people easily exceed the EPA numbers. My Camry was rated at 40/38 and is now rated at 33/34. My average over 28k miles is 39.8 MPG.

If you are a typical driver (with plenty of brake dust on the front wheels) you will likely get 34 MPG. Which is what the EPA now rates the car at.

The new testing method is definitely more real world. All of Toyotas hybrids (with typical) drivers are getting the new numbers.
34MPG? Huh? What you talking about Willis? EPA is now 27/25... No where NEAR 34MPG. BTW this is about a HIGHLANDER HYBRID and/or Lexus RX, not about a Camry so WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU got in yours...

Old 10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have both a Highlander Hybrid and an Escape Hybrid.
They are both 4 wheel drive.

The Escape can be coaxed into getting better milege than the Highlander, but the Highlander makes it all much easier. It drops the ICE without any muss or fuss. The Ford kind of has to be tricked into doing so.

Note that there is a ton of non-mountain driving between the Pacific and Atlantic oceans...

MM

Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Actually, this is NOT true. Drive the way the EPA did and you STILL don't make those numbers in MANY cases. The EPA is a "best case" scenario, not a "real life" scenario. This is outlined in other sites so there is no point in repeating it here. I am actually one VERY against frivolous lawsuits so your barking up the wrong tree (in my case).
Actually this IS TRUE. You just validated the exact point I make. The EPA test does not mimic true driving conditions. That is why you don't get the EPA numbers, nor should you expect to! If you drive your car under the same conditions the EPA tests it to, then you WOULD get the EPA results.

Your examples of previous lawsuits are like comparing apples to rocks. In both examples you give there were actual flaws in the hardware. There is no hardware flaw that causes you to get worse mpg than the EPA test results. You just don't drive you vehicle the same way the EPA tested it.

If you were not informed enough to know what the EPA number represented you have no one to blame but yourself, and suggesting a lawsuit because you did not take the time to educate yourself is frivolous.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM

And don't EVEN get me going on how Toyota (originally) mis-represented the Tax benefits (I got about $1,200 of the "promised" $2,600 tax credit. Many others got ZIPPO, NADA, blank).
Are you back on that again. No one promised you anything. You just didn't take the time to understand the tax code. You have no one to blame, but yourself, for not taking the time to understand how your taxes might be impacted by the tax credit.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 AM

WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU got in yours...
Do you have a mouse in your pocket? Because this WE does care what he got.