08 Yukon Hybrid problems?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default 08 Yukon Hybrid problems?

My GMC Yukon hybrid has 70,000 miles on it and has had numerous issues in the last few months. First I noticed a plume of smoke coming out of the tail pipe and we checked the oil and there was no oil in the car eventhough we had just had the oil changed 1500 miles before. This issue has continued eventhough we have taken it to the dealership several times for oil consumption issues. They change out a seal everytime and call us to come get it only for it to happen again in a week or two.

The second major issue is when the car is accelerating or coming to a stop, it either jerks or will not go. While on vacation we were pulling out into traffic only to have the car stall for a few seconds and then just take off and almost hit the car in front of us. We took it to the dealership, they ordered some other part (and the oil was low again of course) and sent it home with us on Friday. Saturday the service engine soon light was back on and we were in town and the car completely stalled when we were trying to go at a red light and then took off. It seems to be getting worse! Has anyone else been having these issues? I am really worried about the oil consumption issue and wonder if it has damaged my engine to be running on such low oil.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 Yukon Hybrid problems?

You checked the oil and there was no oil in the car? Well, if that was the case, you are in for a seriously bad time from here. I doubt that was the case. But instead of picking on you, I'm going to tell you where you are making mistakes here, before you are seriously taken to task for not knowing what you are talking about.
First, your 6.0l LS-series aluminum V8 in your Yukon Hybrid would not last very long without oil, and would probably sound a lot of warnings and stop running long before destroying itself from not having any oil.
Were you referring to seeing a blue color smoke coming out of your exhaust pipe, and then shutting off the engine and removing the engine oil dipstick, cleaning it off, replacing it, fully into the tube, removing it and not seeing any oil on the stick at all? If so, you then added oil (without restarting is since you thought it was empty, correct?). How much did it take? An empty Yukon Hybrid would take 6.0 quarts with the filter, but without removing the filter, you would probably put in five and see it full (as there would be a little in the pan that the sump could not reach). Did you put five quarts in before reading full again? If so, this should get you a repair under warranty, as you have a 8/100,000 warranty on the Hybrid.
What "seal" have they been changing out? I'm wondering what seal would be causing it to leak into the cylinders and burn oil out the exhaust.
Your second issue, I will not comment on with out you first reading through the forum some and second giving better descriptions. We are here to help, but first you need to try helping yourself. Comments like "some other part" are worthless and show us you are not really trying to solve the issue. Part descriptions and descriptions of repairs can all be found on the work orders given to you from the dealer when you picked up the car. You signed the bottom of them when you paid the cashier.

Good luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply, and you are right, my expertise definately do not include mechanical issues. I have looked further back through the posts and an earlier post discusses complaints of oil consumption, blue exhaust smoke and the SES light which seems to accurately describe my situation. We have had issues with the cylinders and with spark plug replacement also. The previous post describes bulletin PIP4525a and recommends an engine replacement. I have printed this information out and will take it to the dealer tommorow when I return my car again to be serviced. Previous posts also describe the "jolt" which sounds similar to my second issue also.

As for the oil consumption, even I know that a car will not run without oil but there was no oil on the dipstick when my husband checked it after the dealership changed the oil the previous week. He then added 4 quarts of oil to it (no filter change). I will give an update on the dealership's reply to the information I aquired. I thought others with less mileage than my 70,000 miles might be interested in posts on this website from someone with issues and higher mileage.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Administrator

how often do you change your oil? do you use the oil change reminder to change the oil or go by the 6K mile oil change interval? if you wait until it says 12% left, it is probably 10K miles since your last oil change and unless you are using premium synthetic like mobil 1 extended performance, no oil can last that long without engine wear/oil breakdown.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

An oil change is lasting on average two to three weeks, about 1000-1500 miles. There is an oil consumption issue with the vehicle. Not an issue with not changing the oil at regular scheduled oil changes of 3000-4000 miles, which we normally do. Thank you for your reply

Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hmkinms
An oil change is lasting on average two to three weeks, about 1000-1500 miles. There is an oil consumption issue with the vehicle. Not an issue with not changing the oil at regular scheduled oil changes of 3000-4000 miles, which we normally do. Thank you for your reply
what type of oil were you using? synthetic or dyno oil? thanks!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast

My husband replaced with synthetic. Not sure what the dealership has been using in the many oil changes they have been making.