East Coast Prices!!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default East Coast Prices!!

I just moved from Arizona to Maryland and have been thinking about selling '09 Yukon 4WD Hybrid... just to get something a little smaller and cheaper. I bought my hybrid for $25,000 (with 72,000mi), which was a great deal on the west coast. I've been doing research to see what I can list my Yukon for and it's not good. These trucks are within 300mi of my location:

2009 Yukon 4WD 71,000mi $23,998

2009 Yukon 4WD 111,549mi $19,200

There are others with slightly higher miles that are well below $25,000. Looks like I'm Keeping the Yukon for a while. I'm pretty sure the value will plummet when the 5 year 100k mi warranty runs out too.

FYI: drove it 2,500 miles across country with a 6X12' trailer attached (fully loaded) and it took it like a champ. Even had enough power to pull the trailer in full electric mode only! It's loving the cooler weather too (I never saw electric mode in AZ), averaging 20.4MPG in the 1 week+ I've been here.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: East Coast Prices!!

I'm in Arizona and my experience is that they Hybrid Tahoe/Yukon values are very low here(Can't speak for the Escalade). Even lower than just a regular Tahoe/Yukon.

I have seen them used for 20-25K(When I can find them), sometimes under 20K.

One of the main reasons I still have mine is back when mine was 3 years old with 70K miles the most they would give me on trade was 15K. They candidly told me they didn't want it because it was a Hybrid, if they were unable to sell it on their lot, they wouldn't be able to unload it at the auction.

Glad I kept it, I'm reaping the benefits of meticulously maintaining it and I'll give it to one of my teenagers to drive, they should be safer in a 5000+ pound car than a Prius or a Jeep(their choices)

Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Administrator

my experience driving in the AZ desert on my way to las vegas or california is getting at least 25mpg. what gasoline do you guys get there? 100% pure gas with no 10% ethanol?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
my experience driving in the AZ desert on my way to Las Vegas or California is getting at least 25mpg. what gasoline do you guys get there? 100% pure gas with no 10% ethanol?
My understanding is that Maricopa County(Phoenix metro) and Pima county(Tucson metro) are the only two counties in Arizona that supplement the gasoline with either Ethanol and/or MTBE. The other 13 counties can have 100% unadulterated gasoline year round(not to say they all do). Incidentally Maricopa and Pima Counties are also the only counties in Arizona that require routine smog/emissions testing of vehicles.

This is where is gets confusing, I have noticed they seem to have experimented with what they add(Ethanol or MTBE) and the times of the year that they add it. My suspicion is the summer months for that past few years because my MPG drops off precipitously in the summer months in all vehicles, then miraculously recovers about mid October.

I also heard from an acquaintance in the local petroleum industry that they are not very careful when adding the proper amount of Ethanol/MTBE and the ratio can be much higher(as high as 20%-30%). He mentioned that unscrupulous vendors may deliberately add more ethanol since it's less expensive than gasoline resulting in a higher profit margin. This results in notably reduced MPG and possible damage to vehicles not designed to run higher blends of Ethanol(Like E-85). I will say that over the years I have gotten several tanks of gasoline that resulted in absolutely horrendous MPG, preceded and followed by normal MPG, my suspicion is too much ethanol was added.