GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid

Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
aka soulsea
Default Re: GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid

Well W_F, all of this info has been mentioned before on this thread.

However, why you would try to buy this through GM is a little beyond me ... you can pick up a full new take off rack at dozens of forums or CL for less that $100 as folks are always taking them off to upgrade to Esky/Nali racks. Heck half the time they can't give them away.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
aka soulsea

Btw, here's a thread on painting (de-chroming) an escalade rack to replace a stock roof rack: http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27966

Although it's not really about adding a rack where there isn't one from factory, it does show some of the bolt locations and type of hardware one would have to retrofit to add either the escalade or base rack.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

Odd That there would be a GM Parts kit to add the roof rack?
http://www.gmpartseast.com/chevy/com...m99k10706.html

Old 05-16-2012, 07:53 PM
aka soulsea

Originally Posted by SolarMace
Odd That there would be a GM Parts kit to add the roof rack?
http://www.gmpartseast.com/chevy/com...m99k10706.html
Yeah, it's actually not that strange ... GM will get their wires crossed and sell stuff that it shouldn't.

For example there's also an accessory spare tire kit for these trucks that GM sells but won't work since the base Tahoe and Yukon hybrid rear bumpers don't have a hoist access point. The only way to make it work is to swap to a non hybrid rear bumper.

They'll still sell it to you though, never mind that you'll never be able to use it.

It happens.

But on the subject of adding a roof rack to a truck without pre drilled bolt holes from the factory, you'll find very few dealers who are willing to take it on for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.

So it's not that it can't be done, it's just that it probably shouldn't.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

Dealer installed in '08 at purchase. Factory rails with yakima crossbars. Overload them all the time, no issues.

Attached Thumbnails GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid-tahoe.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 AM
a2t
Active Enthusiast

i cant believe there would be an issue installing an esky rack (or most any rack) on a hybrid. The trucks are pretty much structurally identical. If an esky can use 1, a hybrid can also use 1.

im certain the ONLY reasons GM didnt install them was 1). cost - they were already pushing $55K and looking to do anything to cut back, and 2). increased drag coefficient - which is also why they didnt use the fog lights in the front bumper.

Which is all p-r-e-t-t-y lame, Milhouse. Its supposed to be a Utility Vehicle. It looses quite a bit of the Utility when you cant put a kayak on top for the beach trips, or a christmas tree, or bikes, or whatever else you buy a SUV for.

I will be installing a roof rack on my 08 Hybrid to transport a 115 lb tandem kayak + 2 bikes on top so we can take everyones stuff down to the beach. This is why I bought the vehicle, so a family of 5 can take everything when we want to.

FWIW, you can also buy a Yakima Y bar set up which plugs into the rear hitch, then use a Yakima front mount that attaches to the top of the door frame, so no holes needed. But then you loose the use of the rear hitch, and I need that for another bike rack.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I (ok I paid a company) to put Yakima rails on my Silverado Hybrid. No issues at all and if I remove the Thule "foot" (I used Thule above the rails because I needed to match other hardware) there is no additional drag at all. Works great. They rails use a self sealing rubber insert nut so there is no need to remove the headliner. No sign of leaks all summer - but I have not had it on though the winter yet.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:10 PM
A little insane at times

I realize this is a fairly old thread that seems to have been given new "legs" recently. I have been researching this also and found some viable options such as: http://rackattackboston.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/585/. Just thought I would throw this out there in case anybody stumbles across this thread in the future and is looking for some answers.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

I want to carry my kayak ...what is the safest way on a Yukon ..I had thought of a roof rack but doesn't seem like a great idea after reading the above.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimr5454
I want to carry my kayak ...what is the safest way on a Yukon ..I had thought of a roof rack but doesn't seem like a great idea after reading the above.
I've had a bike and cargo box up there for going on four years without problems. I don't see how a kayak would be any different other than the attachment to the rack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands