GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 PM
A little insane at times
Default Re: GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid

Originally Posted by a2t
OK I just bought a whole set up from rack attack. I got the yakima version with 54" rails, 58" load bars, uprights, and kayak rack, and bike rack. I will tackle this all when it gets here. My only concern is getting the tracks installed straight.

I really like the features of the yakima rack system, you can simply unclip it and remove the uprights and load bars when you arent using them.

I will post up the install when i can ... the whole set up was $1025 so not cheap at all, but that did include a pretty nice kayak rack (sweet roll) and decent mtn bike rack (high roller) plus locks for everything.

Probably wasnt the cheapest way to go but I'll have about $5 grand riding on the roof for a thousand miles so I didnt exactly want to cheap out.
I'd love to see the setup. Any pics?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:40 PM
a2t
Active Enthusiast

I returned the whole thing and just used my HF trailer to haul the kayak. It was far too heavy to load onto roof.

Rackattack was awesome though, their yakima kit was very nice looking, if my yak didnt weigh 100 lbs I would of used it.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Greetings all!

I know this an old thread, but I wanted to share my hybrid GM roof rack pictures with the community.

I purchased a 2010 Yukon Hybrid about a month ago. I noticed while looking at it, there was no roof rack to put a cargo carriers on top (like we do with our 2011 Yukon non-hybrid). I purchased a set of the rails and cross bars with a company that owns multiple salvage yards around the U.S. The rails and cross bars came off a 2011 Tahoe LTZ.

I went to my local GM dealer to see how much it would cost to have them installed and they wanted to charge me $450+. This was due to them having to install/insert well-nuts into the roof for the screws. I called a few other GM dealers and the price was similar.

So, I decided to contact a local body shop (that predominately fixes high end luxury cars) that we have used several times in the past. The owner told me he would install them for $100 and would use the well-nuts. I went back to my local GM dealer and asked the parts department to print me off the roof schematics for my 2010 Hybrid and also the schematics for our 2011 Yukon roof rails (this was to see where the holes were located). Also, I took some pictures of the rails on our 2011 Yukon so they body shop could see it.

I took the schematics and roof rails to the local body shop this morning to have it install. He installed it in less than two hours and it looks great. He used the well-nuts, which are "crimped" (i maybe using the wrong word - but they crush it to make a tight seal) to the roof like the original nuts from the factory. They also put on some sealant and coated the screws as well. If one was not aware that the hybrid didn't come with roof rails, one would never know.

Attached Thumbnails GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid-fview.jpeg   GM Rack on Tahoe Hybrid-sview.jpeg  

Last edited by Curlyp; 11-16-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Curlyp
Greetings all!

I know this an old thread, but I wanted to share my hybrid GM roof rack pictures with the community.

I purchased a 2010 Yukon Hybrid about a month ago. I noticed while looking at it, there was no roof rack to put a cargo carriers on top (like we do with our 2011 Yukon non-hybrid). I purchased a set of the rails and cross bars with a company that owns multiple salvage yards around the U.S. The rails and cross bars came off a 2011 Tahoe LTZ.

I went to my local GM dealer to see how much it would cost to have them installed and they wanted to charge me $450+. This was due to them having to install/insert well-nuts into the roof for the screws. I called a few other GM dealers and the price was similar.

So, I decided to contact a local body shop (that predominately fixes high end luxury cars) that we have used several times in the past. The owner told me he would install them for $100 and would use the well-nuts. I went back to my local GM dealer and asked the parts department to print me off the roof schematics for my 2010 Hybrid and also the schematics for our 2011 Yukon roof rails (this was to see where the holes were located). Also, I took some pictures of the rails on our 2011 Yukon so they body shop could see it.

I took the schematics and roof rails to the local body shop this morning to have it install. He installed it in less than two hours and it looks great. He used the well-nuts, which are "crimped" (i maybe using the wrong word - but they crush it to make a tight seal) to the roof like the original nuts from the factory. They also put on some sealant and coated the screws as well. If one was not aware that the hybrid didn't come with roof rails, one would never know.

Looks great. As the OP I want to say I'm going on 7 years with the rack with no problems whatsoever. I do check the torque of the screws before major trips but have been very happy with the modification.