Plug in Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Plug in Hybrid

Here are some links to plug in Hybrid kits.
Both offer kits not vehicle specific, however the Plug In Supply although costly offers the ability to recharge through regenerative braking as well as plugging in to a 120v outlet. The spare tire space would be a perfect location to mount one of these once you remove the resonator.
http://www.pluginsupply.com/
http://www.enginer.us/

Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Plug in Hybrid

Welcome to the board.

It's not clear that any kit like this would be of any real value on a two-mode hybrid vehicle.

The transmission is only capable of running on all-battery power between 0 and 29 MPH. I don't know about you, but I am rarely in a 25MPH zone or slower - and when I am, the zones are short enough that the current battery pack is usually sufficient to run on electric through the zone.

It's not clear that more battery power would be of any assistance when accelerating from a stop - the engine kicks in pretty readily, regardless of the state of charge of the pack with anything but the gentlest acceleration.

When you get much over about 60 MPH, the air resistance is high enough that the transmission doesn't spend much time in V4 mode. Whether you are in V4 or V8 seems to be more of a function of power demand rather then the state of charge of the pack.

Perhaps you'd see a bit better mileage between 30 and 60 but it seems that the system is designed for a particular balance - pulling enough HP from the ICE to just provide that little extra torque from the electric motors to try to keep the ICE in V4.

The "4 mode" transmission referenced in another topic, would seem to be a better match for this type of system.

If one of these companies, or one of their competitors is interested in selling into the 2-mode market, they are likely going to have to supply some real world data on the ROI for these vehicles.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the welcome.
You make a good and valid point, not to mention the cost of these is outrageous. I live in So Cal, so sitting in traffic is a past time, so any prolonged stay in battery power would be a positive (no pun intended). Also when cruising on flat highways of Surface Street in either 8 or 4 cyl mode, the electric motors assist in maintaining your speed without having to use more gas, so the extra batteries would benefit to stay will electric assistance longer.

Thank you for the reply

Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Head's up fellas. Your GM system has government mandated high voltage isolation detection. It actually has systems... yes systems.

Depending on any tap you make into the high voltage system, the existing isolation detection may see it and take action. Impedances in parallel drop total impedance in any electrical circuit.

So adding a second, third battery, and or charger can and will effect your total system isolation.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 PM
a2t
Active Enthusiast

Wish this could be installed on my 08 Hybrid.

As for spending time from 0-30mph, thats very significant. Not to mention it takes alot of fuel to accelerate the car from stop to 30. My hybrid spends about .02 seconds in elec mode when accelerating, unless you want to go 0-30 in ten minutes, which isnt feasible in Atlanta traffic.

Right now my Hybrid is netting 17.9 mpg over last 30k miles. Mostly Atlanta city, 20% hwy cruise. For comparision, I rented a Ford Expedition for weekend. It netted exactly 12 mpg on similar loop. So ... Hybrid is worth 5 mpg for me. Not bad but wishing for the advertised 20+ city.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with Lake Silverado;

I was pretty positive I could not add to this system with out violating the isolation sensors. But it isn't like an electric engineer couldn't come up with a design. My design is mostly prototype test bed, with the cargo bay filled with the new lead/carbon light weight batteries used to store solar energy for PHEV charging system. On the class III hitch is a methanol fuel cell RV charging system. I haven't decided on the output capacity. It has been a long time since I did these kind of calculations. So I'll probably hire an expert to figure it out. But I can't get past the GM programming, so I may have to beg that genius at SoCal Cars to check out my project.