So what's your fifteen minutes of fame with the GM Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool So what's your fifteen minutes of fame with the GM Hybrid?

So the other day my wife said to me a California highway patrol officer asked her to pull over, (But luckily it's not what you thinking ) He didn't even use his lights to ask her either.

He had been following her for a few miles then after a while when he got the chance he pulled up next to her at a stop light and asked her to roll down her window. He asked her if she wouldn't mind pulling over for a few minutes because he would like to ask her a few questions about what the two mode Hybrid system is and to look the vehicle over. So she pulled over for him since he asked nicely.

He said he has not seen a hole lot of GM Hybrids out on the road and wanted to know more about them.

Then my wife also said she had seen him the very next day standing out front of a gas station with two of his on duty buddies and he watched her go by.

So now I'm hoping this means we'll get a free get out of excessive speeding ticket card.

This vehicle does get lots of attention while at a stoplight or in heavy traffic. When I look in my rear view mirror It almost always seems like someone is pointing at the vehicle then they appear to start talking to their passenger's about the Hybrid symbol.

Anyone here ever notice that before?

Also I've noticed a couple of times now on the local news that even the Mayor of Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa drives a black GMC Hybrid.

So this got me thinking that you all must have some type of stories to share by now about you're Hybrid? Let's hear them.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:26 PM
aka soulsea
Default Re: So what's your fifteen minutes of fame with the GM Hybrid?

I can't saw that fame has brushed me on account of the hyhoe ...

Like you said loads of folks like to strike up a conversation about it, especially other Tahoe owners. I think I mentioned before that the salesmen and service guys at dealerships always come and talk to me about her but that more on account of the mods than the hybrid.

They're actually not that unusual in the DC area because GM sells a lot of the Hybrid SSVs to the government.

But yeah, lots of double takes and a few resentful/judgmental looks from Prius owners.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: So what's your fifteen minutes of fame with the GM Hybrid?

Interesting - in the year since I got the Silverado, not a single person has asked about the hybrid - unless of course I bring it up first. Seems to be invisible.

This summer we have a lot of road work around here which requires them to close a lane and put flag people out to control the traffic. I'll be sitting there right next to the flagger, in autostop mode, and none has ever even glanced over or noticed this 3 ton thing is moving past them without making a sound.