Total Miles off a Tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Total Miles off a Tank

I have gotten 505 miles off a tank of gas with my first complete tank around town which is a 50/50 mix of city and hwy driving. It's been almost two weeks since I last filled up!!!

Interested to hear what others have been able to get off a tank of city/hwy driving.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default my record is

4 wks on one fill-up 100 miles highway the rest in town. I was blown away...I was getting a tank per week in my Grand Cherokee 5.9!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Go Redskins/Go Yankees
Default Re: Total Miles off a Tank

I went camping with my boy scout son a couple of weeks ago. I filled up the tank north of Harrisburg, PA, drove back to DC with 2 more scouts and the trunk full of camping gears plus the third row seats. The next day I drove back and foward to Ocean City, MD to see the fireworks with the same tank of gas. This is the most so far I had gotten, 492 miles on a single fill up.
Today I got installed heated elements on my second row seats. My younger son did not like the cold seats on colder mornings, since the Yukon has to seat outside the garage (My 2 car garage is too tight to fit my wife Merc R350 + the Yukon)). It will be a pleasant surprise for him this winter. Another thing that my son hates is that the windows do not come all the way down. Wonder if there is it an aftermarket solution.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default look at the profile of your car

the door opens around the rear wheel the window can only go down as far as there is room for it
IOW the wheel arch is in the way you could cut the car in two and weld in a 3 foot piece to lengthen the chassis in front of the rear wheel, then have custom doors made, but the 70k you would spend REALLY wouldn't be worth it to get the window down another few inches.

Last edited by jet1; 07-23-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Tell him it is to keep him from sticking his arms out the window...

Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: look at the profile of your car

Originally Posted by jet1
the door opens around the rear wheel the window can only go down as far as there is room for it
IOW the wheel arch is in the way you could cut the car in two and weld in a 3 foot piece to lengthen the chassis in front of the rear wheel, then have custom doors made, but the 70k you would spend REALLY wouldn't be worth it to get the window down another few inches.
Might be easier to stuff the hybrid components into a Suburban or Yuk XL The wheel well clears the rear door but I've never went into one to see if the windows go all the way down. I think the windows in my Escalade EXT, which has full rear doors, did go all the way down..

Old 07-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

By the way, speaking to the original subject of this thread, I've "only" gotten about 400 miles per tank. I'm only on my third tank right now, hoping the engine breaks in and I get a little better mileage after a few more tanks. Averaging between 17 and 18 mpg with mix city/highway driving. Was hoping to get closer to 20 mpg since that's what she's rated at and also what most in the forum are getting.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default mine has gotten better...

Originally Posted by CPMS
By the way, speaking to the original subject of this thread, I've "only" gotten about 400 miles per tank. I'm only on my third tank right now, hoping the engine breaks in and I get a little better mileage after a few more tanks. Averaging between 17 and 18 mpg with mix city/highway driving. Was hoping to get closer to 20 mpg since that's what she's rated at and also what most in the forum are getting.
today I took a 290 mile trip freeway, two lane and offroad (improved gravel) I got back and checked it cause I really haven't been paying much attention and my computer said I got 23.9 for the trip. I filled and reset at the gas station......not bad at all! (oh and I don't do freeways slow!)

Last edited by jet1; 07-23-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast

That sounds about right. I am averaging about 500 to 550 per tank. If you are careful how you drive and pay attention to the economy gage on your dash, it will help. There are little tricks you can learn to do which will help get the most gas mileage you can get!