What components covered under the 8yr / 100k mile hybrid warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default What components covered under the 8yr / 100k mile hybrid warranty

I'm thinking one of the most expensive components to replace on the Hybrid would be the battery pack (or maybe the transmission with it's electric motors). I have not been able to find out what hybrid components are covered under the 8/100 warranty vs. powertrain. GM differentiates between the 3yr/36 bumper to bumper and the 5 yr/100k powertrain warranties. I'm just wondering if the 300 volt battery pack would be considered hybrid or drivetrain or only covered under the 3/36.

Also, would anyone know what a bettery pack might cost to replace from a genuine GM part or possible aftermarket battery pack options?

I'm shopping for an 08 Hybrid and trying to cover all my concerns before pulling the trigger on a new vehicle.

Rich

Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default EVERYTHING that makes it a hybrid is covered

for 8 years 100,000 miles that includes the battery, computers, transmission, electric regeneration, and I believe all the electrical driven components such as the Power steering pump and AC Compressor although i'm not 100% on that.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What components covered under the 8yr / 100k mile hybrid warranty

What is covered, and for how long, varies by manufacturer; I would expect that GM provides some "small print" about where their battery pack falls in warranty coverage but it may take some real sleuthing to find it. A battery pack for Toyota runs $2800 to $3500 from reports I have seen; I have not seen anything on what one would cost for a GM vehicle. I would be very surprised if there were currently any aftermarket (non-GM) battery packs available that would fit their vehicles, because the industry is still in its infancy (this may change in the 5 to 8 years when you wear down one of these batteries).

Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What components covered under the 8yr / 100k mile hybrid warranty

Great thoughts everyone and thanks for the quick responses. I have a few different 08 deals that I'm considering. I really want this vehicle, but of course need to exercise some due diligence.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:20 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default I did 'homework' for 4 months...

and came to the conclusion that this is the best bang for the buck interim vehicle. in 8 years there will be lots more choices than gas as the infrastructure for alternative fuels will be in place. I initially looked at the flex fuel option (when gas was 4.00 a gallon) but in my area there are only 2 stations and they are a good 30 mile drive either way so I discarded that option. It was viable at 4.00 a gallon because you could produce and sell it at a profit, but now with gas hovering at 2.00 a gallon its not marketable.
As far as the battery pack goes I directly asked that warranty coverage question and was assured by GM that the battery pack was warrantied for 8 years or 100,000 miles period, no small print or gotcha's.
good luck with your decision, I'm happy with mine!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: I did 'homework' for 4 months...

Did you get 4WD or 2? The ones I'm looking at are 4WD. I don't really need it here in North Carolina, but it is nice to have when we travel up north to visit relatives and friends. I know the rating is 1mpg less city and 2 less highway, I just wonder how that translates in real world driving. If you have a 4WD, have you used it much? It would be pretty cool the go off road (very lightly, given the front fascia) and still get great fuel economy!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default mine is 4wd

I live in snow country and need the ability to go no mater what. Its not really an ORV like my jeep was. It has limitations such as a lower front facia/air dam which would get easily damaged. my offroad is pretty limited to improved gravel stuff, my philosophy is if you need a modified suspension, special tires and locking diferentials to go there you probably should be walking instead! I think the 4wd is the only way to go for resale as well (not that I'm planning on selling it) it gives you an edge in any situation. You can drive on dry paved roads with ease but you cannot control the weather so why not have all 4 wheels working for you.