High Mileage Vehicles If it gets over 30mpg, and isn't a hybrid - post here!

Instead of 'green', how about used cards?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Instead of 'green', how about used cards?

I found this website while surfing the web, and though I'd share my two cents. Instead of talking about new alternatives, why don't we just drive used cars until they stop? My old Volvo has 320k miles, and runs like a champ, and get 27mpg highway (I plan to drive it past 500k). Using used cars doesn't waste resources as much as manufacturing a new one does. If production came to a halt, or decreases, wouldn't that be better for the environment? Also, you people are too hostile on this website, don't attack me for loving Bush and Rush Limbaugh, because I don't (they are both idiots) Just because I don't agree with this 'green' movement doesn't mean I'm a close minded conservative.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Instead of 'green', how about used cards?

I don't really see anywhere that people are arguing against used cars here. In fact there's probably quite a few of us that would rather not have one at all if that was possible. We're not against old cars, it's just that new cars and new technology are more interesting to talk about.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Pragmatist

I don't like playing with used cards. They wear out from being shuffled too many times. And there is usually a distinctive stain or something on the backs of some of the aces and face cards.

Green cars are ok, as long as they're relatively new. But you really need two different color decks to play bridge.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with you. apart from it, some modifications incorporating modern technology may also improve the performance of old cars considerably.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

The only thing that I would worry about regarding that idea is the emissions produced from older model cars - they're quite destructive. I would support "refurbishing" older cars to decrease emissions/other issues, but there comes a time when the input does not justify the output.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Make whatever personal decision you want. New vehicles will be built to support an expanding population and offset vehicle scrappage. Your decisions won't affect that fact.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

I also completely agree. I drove a 1985 volvo stationwagon until it almost fell apart, and it was still getting 29mph on the highway (if I drove 55mph--if I drove 70 the mileage would fall off precipitously to 22mph--probably because the car is so boxy that it caused a lot of air drag).

But there's something to be said for this philosophy. To a degree, it's the wasteful practice of continually buying new stuff and then wearing it out and throwing it away that drives a lot of the pollution and resource use in America.

If we took better care of our cars, we could greatly reduce environmental impact.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Enthusiast

You are totally rite old cars had great mileage and we should make maximum use of it but thing is that we can even stop their as 27-28 mpg is not good enough now a days if you compare it with cars like prius the average of old cars are nearly half ..and to take care of our environment should be our first priority and shoul try to decrease as much as pollution we can do...