High Mileage Vehicles If it gets over 30mpg, and isn't a hybrid - post here!

Smart Car

Old 07-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Smart Car

Here in NYC, they'll figure out a way to make them cost $40,000. They'll be hip, exclusive cars, that you custom design from a desk in the corner of the MB showroom. I can see it now, 20in rims, brembo brakes, liquid metal paint..etc.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Smart Car

I've had two BMW Isetta 300s (smaller than a Smart) that I used as my primary cars for years. I hope to be one of the first to own the new version Smart when they arrive in the USA, even though they're a little larger than what I was used to. Hehe.

BMW Isetta

There is no pleasure greater than pulling head-on into the curb to park between two parallel-parked cars.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 02-09-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I've had two BMW Isetta 300s (smaller than a Smart) that I used as my primary cars for years. I hope to be one of the first to own the new version Smart when they arrive in the USA, even though they're a little larger than what I was used to. Hehe.

BMW Isetta

There is no pleasure greater than pulling head-on into the curb to park between two parallel-parked cars.
One of the Boulder Import Dealers has a couple of Smarts on the lot, and I seen one occasionally around town.

When I was in Germany last fall I saw lots of Smarts, and yes they do park them perpendicular to the road and can literally park three in the space of one typical German sedan. There may be parking meter issues if Smarties get creative.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I first saw one of these in Germany several years ago- and now, after all this time, they're finally arriving in the US. When it comes to cars, the US certainly can't be termed cutting edge, can we? Just another reminder of that, if we needed one.

I think they're really cute- I even toyed a bit with the idea of getting one. But there's no way I would need two cars... I'm just being mentally self-indulgent. Sigh. Maybe I'll talk a friend into getting one and then see if they'll let me drive it a little. hee hee.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 PM

The smart car definitely has its merits, and as a niche vehicle it will satisfy various people for different reasons. All you have to do is look up smart.com to see the benefits of a micro fuel-sipping vehicle. However, I suggest that it should not be considered too lightly for an impulsive or inexperienced buying decision. Don't get swept up by the hype; you might disregard those things you value most in a car that simply cannot be met by the diminutive smart.

I'll illustrate, by way of something different, how a fashionable thing can appear revolutionary and better than it is: Hatchbacks are gaining popularity and seem to be the thing to get. Why not? Lots of storage by volume and a big, wide opening that you can access. But have you taken stock of the benefits of a traditional sedan's trunk? Indeed, I suspect that a lot of new car shoppers have forgotten... It has a longer floor space, so you're not stacking items up. It has privacy and security because of its solid cover. It is insulated from the cabin, so you don't need to heat or cool the cargo volume. The rear windscreen is simplified, without added wipers that can fail, nor cost you a bundle to replace an entire assembly for merely a single broken sub-component. And finally, trunks are less likely to develop leaks.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

I'd go for the sedan, but from what the local dealer says, the smaller version is all that US will get as far as he knows. I just need enough rear space for my 110# mutt and tacklebox.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Pragmatist

My father got one of those Smart Cars. He gets almost as much MPG from his Smart Car as I get from my Camry Hybrid. I would have expected better. I had sports cars 30 years ago that got better mileage. Of course, he cannot use it for any long rides out-of-town, because my mother won't ride in that thing for more than a few minutes. The wheelbase is very short. The ride is stiff. I wouldn't want to ride in it very far, either. So, it might never get a chance to "warm up".

There is a story about developing the Smart Car: Some executives at Mercedes decided they wanted something they could market at about a $15,000 price point. They asked their engineering people what they could produce for that market. Knowing the usual prices of Mercedes cars, some engineer made a smart-alec remark that they could sell "about a third of a car". So, the managers said, "Ok, build us a third of a car."

Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
. . .
There is a story about developing the Smart Car: Some executives at Mercedes decided they wanted something they could market at about a $15,000 price point. They asked their engineering people what they could produce for that market. Knowing the usual prices of Mercedes cars, some engineer made a smart-alec remark that they could sell "about a third of a car". So, the managers said, "Ok, build us a third of a car."
LMAO!

Bob Wilson

Old 01-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Funny.. I drove across the country in a smart.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

My sister in Munich has had one for a few years and she loves it.

One thing to be aware of. I drive around Scottsdale and see them a lot. Twice I've seen different SUVs nearly change lanes right into the side of a smart car. The smart seems to fit well inside the blind spots of mid-sized or larger SUVs & trucks. The smart's weak horn doesn't help in those situations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smart Car

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands