Alternative Fuel Vehicles Running biodiesel, E85, Natural Gas, Propane? Chat here!

Any Chip That will Allow Alcohol(E-85) on non FFV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Any Chip That will Allow Alcohol(E-85) on non FFV?

Hello,
Anyone heard/seen any of these aftermarket chips that will allow the extra oxygen sensor range of blended alcohol, such as E-85? I know I can put up to 50% or so and my van works fine ('99 Olds), but, I would like to be neurotic and buy a chip that would do the work of at least sensing the different composition, resulting, presumably, in better MPG...
Thanks!

Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any Chip That will Allow Alcohol(E-85) on non FFV?

Search for E85 conversion kits and you will find what you need.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Proud to be GM

I would suggest that you also determine whether or not your engine has sufficiently hardened valves and valve seats before you start running high ethanol content through it. The auto industry is pushing back hard against the EPA decision to make E-15 a base fuel, over E-10. The big concern is warranty coverage on vehicles already built under the assumption of an E-10 environment. Engines that wouldn't fail with long term use of E-10 are in some cases under threat of significant warranty (ie- short term issues) in just switching from E-10 to E-15. Going from an assumed E-10 to E-85 is a much bigger deal. It goes far beyond control module calibrations.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:41 PM

I will be nice and state others have run intermediate and high e-blends without issue. I have over 70,000 miles without an issue that includes over 5,000 miles on E-85. I am aware of long term fuel trim values, causes for check engine lights and other. Yes, mileage can vary with these blends, sometimes not what you want to post and other times much higher than what others would believe.

E15? I would only perfer to see it in a blender pump which is a perfect solution where one can blend the solution E0-E85 they want. No one is mandating the use of E15.

It is known that GM non-FFV have E85 fuel maps installed but....disabled! This is likely true for other auto manufactures. The EPA rules killed bringing out a flex fuel GM Volt/Cruze and it is likely those fuel composition sensors will have to return in the near future.

Have a good day.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Guys, for the responses!
I heard Minn. is using or will be using E-15.
'Went to ACT2012, here in SoCalif, to see mostly the Big Guys sell their latest CNG/LPG and Biodiesel, some electric. No doubt the Big Gov was pushing the electrification route. I saw nothing about Ethanol. About 5 conversion kit folks - both CNG and LPG - none American by source... PAkistan, Turkey and some Chinese. I may have missed the Brazilian connection.

My Olds was suffering from a bad gas tank sender before I started to play with E-85, so I may try to buy a replacement (integrated with pump) that meets E-85. From what I understand in David Blume's book or some link to link of similar vein, my engine should be all right for at least 50% E-85.

Trouble is, the mileage started to stink when I went over 25% by volume in my tank. When about 25%, I lost 2 MPG on the HWY, but the response was very nice/smoother shift, acceleration, and idle quieter. ('Kinda' close to Billyk's numbers?) But the price makes up for it, easy - AND I like the smell better. Better for environment, anyway!

I may experiment more, but the big trouble is getting access to stations. IN the state of CA, where Moonbeam is Gov, and Obama is prez, we can't get more than 26 stations in the most populated state??? Tell me someone isn't in the fix against alcohol! Makes no sense.

Best wishes, all, and enjoy the summer.
Oh! I may snag one of those semi-converter kits to work with the fuel injectors and be done until I find a better solution. Thanks. I found several sources, and these two look good. Depending on where you live, cold starting might be an option you need: http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Page?template=Store and David Blume's site: http://www.permaculture.com/store/conversion_kits BTW, I have spoken and written to Ian and he's VERY knowledgeable and polite!

Last edited by Fausto; 06-05-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM

Propel fuels just announced they will install 100 E85/blender pumps in California.

The E-85 conversion kits that tie up to the fuel injectors work well even for those in the cold. You want the brand that is made in America and sold by change2E85 and Johnnyenergy. Both sites sell the same units which carry a 5 year warranty.

Mileage (mpg) will vary and this guy has gotten over 30 mpg on E85 in the last week.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Any Chip That will Allow Alcohol(E-85) on non FFV? - Converter Option

Thanks for the USA/5-Yr Warranty advice. Good Stuff. When I get some results, I will post. :-)

Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Enthusiast

Ive been reading more and more and people say its a good product. But I would like to hear from some one first hand using this. Seems like it really works.