Alternative Fuel Vehicles Running biodiesel, E85, Natural Gas, Propane? Chat here!

Ethanol -- Can HCH I or II Run on It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ethanol -- Can HCH I or II Run on It?

I've been running my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid now on a 50% blend of ethanol now for almost six months. There is a very obvious increase in performance as well as a decrease in milage. I don't mind the decrease in milage (from 37 to 33 MPG) because I now have much more fun driving as well as my confidence in the future of my engine has improved. I only changed my oil after 12,000 miles and it was more clear than many cars after 3000 miles. I'm thinking about going an extra 300 miles to 15K before my next oil change or as I've heard recommended, a change in the oil filter every time and a change in the oil only every other time. I accomplish filling up with 50% ethanol by purchasing $12 in gasoline, then pulling up to the E85 pump and purchasing $10 worth. With gas at 3.86 and ethanol at 3.35, I've calculated that this gives a spot on (+/-2%) of a 50% Ethanol to gas blend. The only thing I would caution anyone on is leaving ethanol in a tank for more than a few days. If you do, you might get an abrupt misfire of your engine. This problem will be overcome if you only fill up on as much ethanol as you will be using for a span of a couple of days or if you drive your car every day there will be no issue ever. If you know your car will be sitting for a few days, fill up on traditional gasoline. I've done this before and let me tell you, going from ethanol blend to mostly gas all of a sudden feels DEPRESSING. Suddenly the performance of my engine seemed to drop by a good 30-40% and it felt sluggish. The next day, after filling back up with the E50 blend, I was back on track and accelerating to a very noticeably higher degree. I recommend E50 to anyone with a honda civic hybrid (that is not marked as a flex fuel) and wants to preserve the life of their engine, and catalytic converter. Remember this very important fact: Ethanol produces 98% less carbon emissions compared to gasoline when burned in a gas engine.