Alternative Fuel Vehicles Running biodiesel, E85, Natural Gas, Propane? Chat here!

How to Blend Your Own Fuel, and Why You Should

Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: How to Blend Your Own Fuel, and Why You Should

We need a basket of diverse fuel. Up to now, we have had all our eggs in one basket... oil based gasoline and diesel. So now that prices for oil go up and up, we are at the mercy of others to pay, or quit driving.

Mid-west grain-belt states can be nearly self-sufficient with ethanol.
The mid-west cannot make enough ethanol to fuel the whole nation. So why try?

Why not have a 10:1 ratio of ethanol to gas pumps in mid-west and a 1:10 ratio along the coast lines, and have a 5:5 mix in the fringe areas?

If you take an east coast gasoline car on a vacation to Iowa, you'd be able to find gasoline. If I take my ethanol only car to New York on vacation, I could find ethanol.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have no problem with that....as long as we are sure that we get the ratio right without having a great impact on food/grain prices. Can our farmlands produce enough corn to replace 10% of our fuel needs? If so, I am ok with that. The problem comes when our government "decides" that we need ethanol to account for say 35% of our fuel needs and suddenly we are growing corn for fuel instead of for food (or wheat or any other produce).

Let's be sure we aren't biting off more than we can chew.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Colby, did you find out why?
Even the makers of the E85 boxes say ethanol is so good at cleaning out "gunk" that after the first tank or two you may get clogged fuel filters. But after all the dirt is removed, you will be fine. This is more likely the more miles your car has. ( more time for the tank to collect dirt )

The U.S. imports a small amount of ethanol. I think it started from the days when the U.S. could not make enough for the air non-attainment areas like L.A. and the contracts still exist today for some reason.
In the news:
"The Energy Information Administration said that U.S. ethanol imports dropped 48% in March to 253,000 barrels, down from 483,000 barrels in February. The figure represents a 64 percent drop from March 2007. Trinidad exported at 143,000 barrels, El Salvador exported 109,000 barrels, and Canada exported 1,000 barrels to Montana."

Today in NW Iowa pure gas was $3.859 and E10 was $3.759 and E85 was $2.699.
Denver was selling E85 for $2.359, the lowest in the nation.
My car was less than a year old when I started running E85, and I did so for a couple of months. My RPM would randomly jump and my ride was a lot jerkier. I was also getting a check engine light often.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 AM

John-
I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full....

Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

By 2012 we will have full scale cellulosic ethanol plants.
So how's that working for you?

I read 5 pages, and then drifted off. What was the ultimate conclusion of all this Ethanol testing? E30 gives the best MPG overall? Better than 100% gasoline? I find that hard to believe.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Troublemaker

anyone want to update testing or E30 use? Where I do love the idea of keeping dollars in this country, I dont want to mess up my cars and give dollars to a mechanic.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

So what would you like to know?

10% is government approved for every car.
15% is government approved for every car 2001 or newer.

Independent testing by many sources finds 30% works well in virtually every car. And 40% ethanol works well in most cars after 2001.

No permanent damage will occur if you use more.
Just above the 30-40% range and the car's sensors will start flagging error codes and set check engine lights. Usually the lights will return to normal after you dilute back down with gasoline.

30% has been shown to have the lowest cost per mile for the consumer, even though the miles per gallon is less than gasoline.

John

Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Troublemaker

I was just wondering how many people on here have done this and what their results were. I made my first tank of E30 today in my 2001 buick regal GS. I put on about 130 miles cruising and sitting in traffic. Car seemed to have a bit more pep and the only other difference was the temp gauge was a little higher.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Troublemaker

I have 2 tanks in of E30 and going to fill #3. So far the only problem I had was a lean fuel code but I deleted it and it never affected performance. Ive been doing shorter 15 min trips and 100 mile trips with no problem. I can't tell how it effects mileage because the dang odometer display burnt out but I like the fact that more of my money is staying in this country.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

If you think you are keeping money in this country, try looking into ethanol imports into the USA from other countries (Brazil for example). All that the ethanol craze has done is make a few rich people richer, lined a few Midwestern politicians pockets, raised the price of corn for everyone else and suckered people into thinking they are helping.

The trick is to burn less of WHATEVER fuel we use, not just burn the same (or in this case, more) fuel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Blend Your Own Fuel, and Why You Should

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands