have you seen that before ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:58 AM
Enthusiast
Question have you seen that before ???

Jack Nicholson had a H2 car in 1978 !! There's a video on Youtude : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJVzySk0Pks

Last edited by eco.conduite.free.fr; 12-21-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: have you seen that before ???

Last summer, I was approached by several co-workers to build one of those electrolysis units. I tried to discourage them but suggested I would build on one a trailer. They could then tow the trailer with the gas and if it worked, we'd make it permanent. They didn't take up my offer ... thank God!

Of the three, two have bought small cars for commuting and are much happier. They still have their 'big iron' because there are some tasks that you need a big vehicle. But now it is backup if one of the small cars is in the shop and otherwise sits waiting for something to do ... a good thing.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 PM
ice
Active Enthusiast

That was nice video...its been too many years since hydrogen powered cars are developed.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

Wow, I wonder why that never took off or if it was buried. It might not have been feasible on a large scale - they're still finding the hydrogen manufacturing process inefficient but the last few years advancements in solar panel technology should change that. I wonder if that old hydrogen car was reliable since mechanics for years now have been slower to develop hydrogen powered cars since piston hydrogen engine's were prone to breaking from backfiring. Of course they've finally succeeded.

Mazda's been working hard on hydrogen hybrid vehicles.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/03...tart-in-japan/

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/10...hi-government/

I think they may have had hydrogen rotary prototypes in the lab as early as 95..

ah!

They have been working on hydrogen powered rotaries since at least the mid 1990s. The feeling is that the Wankel is ideally suited to use with hydrogen because hydrogen has a low ignition temperature so the standard four stroke engine is prone to pre-detonation and backfiring through the intake ports. The rotary engine separates the intake ports from the combustion area so there are no hot spots in the intake phase. Over the years Mazda has built a number of hydrogen fueled rotary powered cars and showed a hydrogen RX-8 at the 1994 Detroit Auto Show
There's also a stretch of highway in Norway dedicated to testing hydrogen vehicles and studying effects of elevation and temperature changes on their storage tanks and performance.

http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/norway-hynor-project.htm
So there's been LOTS going on with hydrogen for years. It's just not talked about in North America. I'd never heard of that Jack Nicholson hydrogen car before though. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eco.conduite.free.fr
Jack Nicholson had a H2 car in 1978 !! There's a video on Youtude : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJVzySk0Pks

BMW has had H2 "demonstration cars" for a few years as well. An ICE will do OK running on H2 (as it will on propane or methane), and do a lot better if optimized for the fuel. Primary issues with H2 cars are:
  1. Fuel availability - Right now, no cost-effective way of generating H2 is commercially available. Generating H2 gas via solar panels is possible, but the issues of compressing the gas (see density) or chilling to liquid are immense.
  2. Fuel transport - H2 is a 'cockroach element' that can pass through many 'conventional' materials. Coupled with pressures and temperatures (for liquid form), transport becomes problematic. Like most gaseous fuels, venting and over-pressure are a challenge to manage.
  3. Energy density - BTU for a given volume. Compressed gas is low density, liquid form is a problem for handling. NASA's grief with the shuttle is a good example of the operational challenges with H2 as a fuel.
  4. Fuel storage. Liquid leakage/boil-off and even compressed 'diffusion' are both problems.
The most fundamental issue of H2 on an ICE is simple efficiency - for a given storage volume, an ICE presents such poor efficiency as to make the vehicle unacceptable in range when fueled by H2. Even fuel cells have a range issue, and their efficiency is much higher.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

Ford, BMW and Mazda all have hydrogen ICE vehicles. Most of the other manufacturers are going with fuel cell vehicles. It's the infrastructure that is holding up more development, though.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast

The thing to remember is every part of the h2 system has improved greatly over the last few years.

Its FAR easier to store alot of h2 on a vehicle now and that h2 stays put VASTLY better.

The cars also get much improved milage even the ice engine variants get better milage then the old fuel cell variants did and the fuel cell ones get crazy good milage. I mean look at the rotary whatzit they made that gets 50 miles on a kilo in a freaking minivan! A rotary engined minivan getting 50 miles per kilo is like a prius going around the world on a tank... well ok not that amazing but still..

Its gona be wild to see what honda and all are able to make in 10 years when they realy hope to go h2.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

Storage of Hydrogen gas is still a concern but in practical terms the bigger problems seems to be power output. Mazda's RX-8 Hydrogen hybrid is getting around 250HP on gasoline but was only getting around 105HP on Hydrogen and only 100 miles range from their size hydrogen tank.

The interesting thing they did was use the hydrogen combustion to generate electricity instead of directly driving the engine. The electricity then powers an electric motor which using the same amount of hydrogen gets more power and twice the range. So for this hybrid they're looking at using the electric motor to accelerate from a dead stop, and the gas motor to pick up at the higher rev's.

Should be interesting to see.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codyBane
Storage of Hydrogen gas is still a concern but in practical terms the bigger problems seems to be power output. Mazda's RX-8 Hydrogen hybrid is getting around 250HP on gasoline but was only getting around 105HP on Hydrogen and only 100 miles range from their size hydrogen tank.
Hydrogen is too light fuel to be used directly as the main fuel (I mean like gasoline)... the better way is to use it with the fuel cell I think.