Mercedes planning on moving away from Petrol all together?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Mercedes planning on moving away from Petrol all together?

"MERCEDES are aiming to end the need for filling your fuel tank with petrol or diesel within just SEVEN YEARS."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1314732.ece

"Mercedes are convinced that these two crucial areas of industry can be saved by making vehicles independent of crude oil - to improve costs, become more eco-friendly and because the oil supply will eventually run out.

The company have already spent £2million on their new long-term Sustainable Mobility plan and are set to invest a further £7billion before 2014.

This includes making current engines even cleaner and more fuel-efficient while increasing the amount of hybrids, emission-free electric cars and clean-fuel gas engines and the further development of battery and hydrogen-powered vehicles."

I saw this a few weeks back and could not remember if it was mentioned in here.
I'm skeptical, I would like to see some Mercedes personnel quoted in the article, but I do like it if its true. They have electric Smart Cars being tested in the UK now, Hydrogen in the works for testing as well. To make this move across their whole model line will be a big move.

Last edited by test54; 08-18-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mercedes planning on moving away from Petrol all together?

They are going to need to find a high-volume supplier of capable, well-priced batteries. Just like everybody else.

DAS

Old 08-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

well I think they are also investing alot into Hydrogen cars.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by test54
I'm skeptical, I would like to see some Mercedes personnel quoted in the article, but I do like it if its true. They have electric Smart Cars being tested in the UK now, Hydrogen in the works for testing as well. To make this move across their whole model line will be a big move.
I am equally skeptical, but from the Mercedes-UK website:

At Mercedes-Benz, our aim is sustainable mobility – and here’s how we plan to achieve it. First, make the combustion engine as green as possible. Second, promote the development of high quality and alternative fuels. And finally, perfect the fuel cell for zero emission driving.

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/corporate_sales0/fleet_manager/company/environment/sustainable_mobility.html

From this link they have links for their plans with biofuels, 2nd gen biofuels, alternative fuels, hybrids, etc.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Hybrid Evangelist

Once again.... Hydrogen has to be made somehow. This requires energy; more energy in than out; as with ALL forms of energy transformation. That energy to create hydrogen has got to come from somewhere. Currently, electricity to create hydrogen comes mostly from fossil fuel power plants.

Leaning so heavily toward fuel cells, in fact, obsessing about them ignores the fact that we have to invest megabucks in creating the support infrastructure to create clean, renewable energy to produce the clean energy to move vehicles. (I know, it's a run-on sentence) :o)

Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

you seem to think its not worth the investment though, thats strange to me. Seeing that their are countries already running hydrogen cars using water and wind power this doesn't seem that far out to me. Yes we would have to invest in the infrastructure but the alternatives are no better, to use electricity is another good option but we are not there either, should we stop researching both because of the investment required?

http://www.hynor.no/pdf/engelsk-hynor-presentation.pdf

Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Enthusiast

Mercedes-Benz launching itself into the hybrid with two upcoming models and i am really waiting for this cost effective car.

Used cars online