Does the Fusion Hybrid have a backup starting system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Does the Fusion Hybrid have a backup starting system?

Question all expert Fusion Hybrid lovers!!!

Does anyone know how the Fusion Hybrid backup system works? What I mean is that say if the hybrid system has a problem...like say the HV Battery is bad, what kind of measures does Fusion Hybrid have to crank the engine so that you can drive to the dealer? Or is there such a system? If not, is the only way is to have the Fusion Hybrid towed?

It is that my Accord Hybrid does have a backup plan...is that just in case if the hybrid system is screwed up, there is a backup electrical starter powered by the 12V battery that will start up the main engine.

I am curious to know if our Fusion Hybrid have something similar?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does the Fusion Hybrid have a backup starting system?

Originally Posted by tedson99
Question all expert Fusion Hybrid lovers!!!

Does anyone know how the Fusion Hybrid backup system works? What I mean is that say if the hybrid system has a problem...like say the HV Battery is bad, what kind of measures does Fusion Hybrid have to crank the engine so that you can drive to the dealer? Or is there such a system? If not, is the only way is to have the Fusion Hybrid towed?

It is that my Accord Hybrid does have a backup plan...is that just in case if the hybrid system is screwed up, there is a backup electrical starter powered by the 12V battery that will start up the main engine.

I am curious to know if our Fusion Hybrid have something similar?
In a word - no. Like Toyota's HSD, the Fusion's Aisin-inspired PSD can't go anywhere without the electric motors being 'on duty'. So, if your traction battery or inverter die, the car is immobile.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the answer Frodo! Understood now the limitations. Since Fusion Hybrid I have heard has been reliable, I shouldn't have to worry much, right?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Having said that, what do you think of the Plug-In Hybrids Frodo?

Do you own a Fusion Hybrid, Frodo?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Having said that, what do you think of the Plug-In Hybrids Frodo?

Do you own a Fusion Hybrid, Frodo?
I have a Toyota Camry hybrid - Fusion wasn't on the market when I purchased, and Escapes were seemingly made from Unobtainium.

Looked at a '13 Fusion - NICE, except that the rear seat room is too tight, especially for such a large vehicle. Heck, the C-max has better rear seat room. The rest of the vehicle, including the front seat was very nice - and much nicer than the first gen. When we are ready to add a vehicle to our family fleet in a couple of years the Fusion and the C-max are definitely on the shopping list...

Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Does the Fusion Hybrid have a backup starting system?

Oh Camry Hybrid...what year?

Seemed like you swear by Ford from the way you sound!

C-Max sounds good too...but I think the way to go in the future are Plug-In Hybrids which have bigger battery and more EV range while having similar or same combustion engine size/displacement.

I read a First Impression article and they say the back seat is as stiff as a board with very little support and making passenger sitting way too straight to be comfortable.

How do you know the back seat of the 2013 Fusion have little back seat space?

Have 2013 Fuison been out for sale already at dealers? Last time I checked it out in front of me was 2012 Toronto Autoshow. I don't even remember if I went into one...I remember they were all locked up, I think.

I just know I was sitting in a fully loaded Fusion Sport AWD for a while as my feet was killing me from all the walking and this car...nobody are curious enough to sit in it. So me and my 2 friends all sat inside for almost 15 minutes!

Mind you...I really love the Fusion and that's the reason I decide to go Detroit and give American a chance. My life I was with Japanese all the way. I see Ford have gone a long way PLUS they didn't take the bail out money...I respect that. And more importantly they are selling really good models to North American. They should have done that long time ago...shipping their Europe tech....to the NA! Smart move and it pays off now.

Even 2013 Fusion design is well European driven...though I know it is American engineered mostly. It does share the Europe platform though. Have been hearing good things about this car...handling and all.

Happy to hear about that! But I am sticking to my 2010 FH for now...I love this car for its handling/performance/comfort (in Hybrid terms). Most importantly I felt GREEN and am saving some money/fuel along with it.

My Accord Hybrid is such a performer and for what it's worth also saving enough gas to give a good balance. Love my Accord Hybrid too...just in a more sport driven way and it is more spacious!

Feel free to share more info and stories here. I like speaking to you...thanks.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM

Oh Camry Hybrid...what year?

Seemed like you swear by Ford from the way you sound!

C-Max sounds good too...but I think the way to go in the future are Plug-In Hybrids which have bigger battery and more EV range while having similar or same combustion engine size/displacement.

I read a First Impression article and they say the back seat is as stiff as a board with very little support and making passenger sitting way too straight to be comfortable.

How do you know the back seat of the 2013 Fusion have little back seat space?

Have 2013 Fuison been out for sale already at dealers? Last time I checked it out in front of me was 2012 Toronto Autoshow. I don't even remember if I went into one...I remember they were all locked up, I think.

I just know I was sitting in a fully loaded Fusion Sport AWD for a while as my feet was killing me from all the walking and this car...nobody are curious enough to sit in it. So me and my 2 friends all sat inside for almost 15 minutes!

Mind you...I really love the Fusion and that's the reason I decide to go Detroit and give American a chance. My life I was with Japanese all the way. I see Ford have gone a long way PLUS they didn't take the bail out money...I respect that. And more importantly they are selling really good models to North American. They should have done that long time ago...shipping their Europe tech....to the NA! Smart move and it pays off now.

Even 2013 Fusion design is well European driven...though I know it is American engineered mostly. It does share the Europe platform though. Have been hearing good things about this car...handling and all.

Happy to hear about that! But I am sticking to my 2010 FH for now...I love this car for its handling/performance/comfort (in Hybrid terms). Most importantly I felt GREEN and am saving some money/fuel along with it.

My Accord Hybrid is such a performer and for what it's worth also saving enough gas to give a good balance. Love my Accord Hybrid too...just in a more sport driven way and it is more spacious!

Feel free to share more info and stories here. I like speaking to you...thanks.
I've an '08 Camry - been very happy with the vehicle, and am looking forward to another 10 (or more) years of having the car 'in the family'. We'll be getting several 'new drivers' in the family over the next few years, and in today's market, Hybrids seem to be the best choice for my driving conditions and priorities.

Drove the '13 Fusion - and the C-Max. Liked both, and would consider either if I had to replace my current car, or when we add vehicles to the family fleet. Not that I have particular hang-up on a given brand - I've owned Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota - and the Ford vehicles I've had have been OK - the big downer I experienced with my last Ford vehicle dealt with dealer competence - on my F150, it took 4 trips to correct a problem with an EGR control device - with spurious replacement of plug wires, an EGR valve cleaning being waypoints. Had these not been covered by warranty, I would have been considerably more peeved...

My biggest reservations with the '13 Fusion and c-max is the first-year syndrome. All manufacturers seem to have more problems with the first year after a MMC than the outgoing model. Frankly, that's why I waited for the '08 Camry - many of the trouble spots the '07 arrived with were addressed prior to when my car was manufactured late in the '08 model year. Even thought the first gen Fusion seems to have recorded a very good repair record, the new one introduces a number of new technologies. For example, the traction battery design is brand new, as is the charging strategy and control hardware and software. Neither have the long-term reliability and durability track record the older metal hydride batteries have experienced. I realize that LION batteries have been used in laptops and phones for years - but these devices consider a 5 year lifespan acceptable (with the device being functionally obsolete after that point). For a car, that's not the case - I, for one, expect a minimum of 15 years and 250K miles of reasonably trouble-free life from a new vehicle purchase. Time will tell if the new traction battery technology lives up to those reliability benchmarks.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes I have just took my FFH for service last Saturday and also saw the C-Max and Fusion!

Yeah...I sat inside and felt the interior of the Fusion to be of pretty good quality and it is certainly comfortable. I saw the tight rear seat space you were talking about...it is not as bad as I thought though. I will say it seemed to be about the same compared to my Fusion 1st Gen. The cabin does feel a bit more spacious in my opinion. The C-Max it was just sitting at the lot but I looked inside...also pretty good...I think they will be both a good seller for sure.

The Fusion 2nd Gen didn't give me the immediate feeling to trade up. I find that my engine configuration (2.5L + Motor) will still be more peppy at the expense of a bit less fuel economical. I like the most peppy for my buck...

Maybe if the weather turned a bit better, I will try out both cars!

Yes I agree with 1st year syndrome...something here and there must happen...the question is big or small! Time will tell here.

Hope my Fusion will last me another 200k miles (320k kilometers) before I need anyhting major.

LION batteries...I still have the same reservations like yourself...not proven yet but it does have its advantages...more power per pound! If this technologies holds up and there is an option to upgrade my existing on in my Accord Hybrid, then it will be good as this new found power can drive the Accord's "Eco" longer driving in 3-cylinder mode much more long durations and Auto Stop longer too with A/C or Heat on during the seasons!

Hope by the time my Accord Hybrid batteries need attention, I will have options!