Winterization question for FFH in Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Winterization question for FFH in Alaska

Ok so I am pretty confident these cars will be fine in the temps up here. Or else they wouldn't sell them I am sure my MPG will be much lower as it will take the temps much much longer to come up under the hood. Anyways my car was bought in Anchorage wich is alot warmer than here in the interior of Fairbanks. We can expect to see temps as low as 60 below zero with sometimes week or two straight of 40 below zero or colder weather. The car came with the factory engine block heater and nothing else. I plan to put on an oil pan heater, battery blanket and also a transmission pan heater. My questions i, will this be all I need? I know there is also a cooling system for the electric motor also. There is no doubt that the anti-freeze can freeze at some of these temps so I don't want to take any chances. I am sure this is also going to have a very negative effect on the overall life of the batteries in the back but I am pretty sure there is an 8 year warranty or something on those correct? Thanks for any help guys! It only has to last this one winter and the trip home when I will finally get stationed somewhere else next year

Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Winterization question for FFH in Alaska

There is no need for a transmission heater as you have an "electronic" one. Block a good portion of the front grille opening with cardboard or a wind block suitable material. Your vehicle will be louder in the colder weather as the hybrid battery will undergo a rapid series of charges and discharges in an attempt to warm it's self to "normal" operating temperature and this may take some time at your temperatures.
I have had my vehicle out in -20F temperatures and the engine block heater worked wonders for mine but you are in the extreme temperatures. Gosh, you better keep that vehicle in some sort of garage at those temperatures. I would also consider a car cover to be utilized when the vehicle is out in the open during work.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Enthusiast

Can't really keep it garaged sadly. At these temps I have to keep my Mustang in storage in the garage. Not to mention going from a warm garage to -40 or colder usually ends up with the tires coming off the bead lol. Happened about 20 times last year. I have thought of putting in an interior heater. Heck, it gets so cold your shocks/struts won't even compress at all over bumps for a good thirty minutes into driving and your tires stay flat spotted for about 15-20 minutes. The CVT tranny should still have fluid in it that needs to be kept warm should it not?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

After hearing from a few of our local WWII veterans who happened to be in Alaska during the war and afterwards, they mentioned the military vehicles ran all night at those temperatures. I can't add anything else.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Enthusiast

yeah once it gets so cold any vehicle we use on the flight line has to be left running no matter what unless it is plugged into a HBO. The block can freeze and crack in no time.