Overriding hybrid navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Overriding hybrid navigation system

One for question for y'all. I haven't yet bought my TCH, although I'm close. I read that you can override the navigation system so that a passenger can put in an address while you are driving.
http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...navigation.htm

I'm wondering if any of you have tried it and if it works?

Benny

Old 01-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Overriding hybrid navigation system

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t173730.html

Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

The quick answer is "It depends".
If you get the 5.1 NAV DVD (pre TSB EL012-06) then YES the override works.
If you get 5.1 with the above TSB rolled in or a 6.1 DVD then NO.
There are procedures to hack parts of a pre TSB 5.1 into 6.1 so the override works but you's need ownership of both DVDs to do it legally.
I don't know if the same hack would get a TSB'd 5.1 to work.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Has anyone (of the 3 that posted to this title) done this procedure yet? Does someone know if this also eliminates the requirement to do the "volume" procedure EVERY time you re-start the car?

Man, don't they make anything easy to hack?

It's be great to get in and just do your route changes or telephone stuff while driving. Heck, even the HERTZ neverlost system prompts you just once to override the safety feature before letting you do it.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

You have to redo the hack each time you restart the car.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

eh, too bad.

But i guess it's better than stopping the car each time you want to use the phone features or NAV changes.

For the cost and effort to get a dual layered burner, (hopefully) get discs that work and then install it all, burn it.....etc.

I wish there were an easy way since I'm not too "techy" with all this new fangled stuff

Thanks for the update!

Old 01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I've been screwing around with the NAV's voice recognition system and after a slow start I've gotten pretty good with it. I find if you say the commands faster with no pause between the words it works better than 90% of the time.
That said, using the voice system I have little to no reason to use the override since the voice system works while in motion.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Dazed and Confused

I was having a problem making a "hybrid" navigation DVD using the loading.kwi file from the 5.1 version. I think I made about 16 DVD +R DL Coasters. I tried using Nero, Ones, and a couple other burning programs. No dice. This was using my Sony DRU700A burner, and it kept giving me write errors, so I bought a Samsung DVD Burner (Re-Badged as a MadDog Writemaster) and it was able to sucesfully complete the burn process, but it always taged the DVD as a DVD +R DL and not as a DVD-ROM wich is what the Denso Navigation DVD drive reads. I tried changing the booktype to DVD-ROM, but that is how the drive was set from the factory. So back to the store it went. I then got a BenQ DW1650 (Rebadged as a CompUSA drive) since it got high ratings on cdfreaks.com, and the first burn I made was read by the Nav's drive, and works great. Now I just have to cut the power to the Nav so it will load the old 5.1 file, and I will have the 6.1 map data and the 5.1 override.

As a side note, since I was having so much trouble burning a good hybrid disk, I tried to make a direct copy, and using the Sony and MadDog drive, was never able to make one, but a coworker has a DVD duplication device (kangaroo replicator, it makes up to 5 copies from a source disk at a time) and it made a good backup copy. The burners in that machine are NEC drives, and the source drive is a LG drive.

The working Nav Hybrid disk was riped using Prassi ONES in the DVD incremental - closed session with ISO 9660 + UDF with Fast Disk setting.

The disk name was the date the disk was made, but if you want to use the original disk name, the 6.1 is 464210-0629 and the 5.1 is 464210-0791. The disk name does not matter, the nav does not read the disk name.

I also used ImgBurn to ensure the Booktype for the drive was set to DVD-ROM, as this is the only way the car can understand the new disk.

A BIG thank you to all those that have experimented to discover this workaround, and a BIG thank you to those that helped me.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I was having a problem making a "hybrid" navigation DVD using the loading.kwi file from the 5.1 version. I think I made about 16 DVD +R DL Coasters. I tried using Nero, Ones, and a couple other burning programs. No dice. This was using my Sony DRU700A burner, and it kept giving me write errors, so I bought a Samsung DVD Burner (Re-Badged as a MadDog Writemaster) and it was able to sucesfully complete the burn process, but it always taged the DVD as a DVD +R DL and not as a DVD-ROM wich is what the Denso Navigation DVD drive reads. I tried changing the booktype to DVD-ROM, but that is how the drive was set from the factory. So back to the store it went. I then got a BenQ DW1650 (Rebadged as a CompUSA drive) since it got high ratings on cdfreaks.com, and the first burn I made was read by the Nav's drive, and works great. Now I just have to cut the power to the Nav so it will load the old 5.1 file, and I will have the 6.1 map data and the 5.1 override.

As a side note, since I was having so much trouble burning a good hybrid disk, I tried to make a direct copy, and using the Sony and MadDog drive, was never able to make one, but a coworker has a DVD duplication device (kangaroo replicator, it makes up to 5 copies from a source disk at a time) and it made a good backup copy. The burners in that machine are NEC drives, and the source drive is a LG drive.

The working Nav Hybrid disk was riped using Prassi ONES in the DVD incremental - closed session with ISO 9660 + UDF with Fast Disk setting.

The disk name was the date the disk was made, but if you want to use the original disk name, the 6.1 is 464210-0629 and the 5.1 is 464210-0791. The disk name does not matter, the nav does not read the disk name.

I also used ImgBurn to ensure the Booktype for the drive was set to DVD-ROM, as this is the only way the car can understand the new disk.

A BIG thank you to all those that have experimented to discover this workaround, and a BIG thank you to those that helped me.
ag4ever, glad to see, you got a working copy of the hybrid dvd. It is not easy if you don't have the right equipment. I have a sony dvd writer and now thanks to you, I know why I might have had such hard time making one for myself. Enjoy..

Old 01-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by jagbagri
ag4ever, glad to see, you got a working copy of the hybrid dvd. It is not easy if you don't have the right equipment. I have a sony dvd writer and now thanks to you, I know why I might have had such hard time making one for myself. Enjoy..

My wife thinks I am crazy, I spent all week buying DVD burners, and returning them when they did not work. Now that I have a "good" burner, I think I will hang on to it.

Unfortunatly, I spent over $50 on ruined DVDs. Cost of doing businees I guess.

FYI, both Memorex and Verbatim DVDs seem to work as the media. Verbatim seem to burn at a higher speed.

Quick Reply: Overriding hybrid navigation system

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands