door drain?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default door drain?

So it has been raining a nice all day rain here for a few days. So when I open the driver door, at the bottom outside edge water just pours out what looks like a drain hole. The question is where does the water come in? I don't see any holes on top of the door. And should water be standing in this hole until the door is opned?I will try to look better when the rains stop.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: door drain?

I haven't noticed that particular problem, but i do have a few rain gripes...

When it's been raining all night, and there's still puddled water on the vehicle in the morning, if i open the windows a crack to let some air in, whenever i turn the remaining water on the vehicle slides to the side, and drips right through the window onto the window controls.

Every other vehicle i've owned has some sort of dripguard protection. Anyone else seeing this, or is it just my '08?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 AM

I had this happen once after a long rain too. I just assumed that I had parked at just the right angle for the water to collect. Never had the issue again.

Probably a good reason to check/keep those drain holes cleaned out...

Old 08-21-2008, 07:09 AM

I can't see any entry point for the water, like it's a drain for the pillar or something, so it must just bee what seeps through the rubber/window seem. But one would think that it'd drain on it's own vs waiting for the door to open. I can see this being a weark/rust point if it were to hold water frequently.

I never noticed the run off issue, but I don't open windows when it's wet out. I guess the luggage rack is supposed to stop it? But most cars have a drip rail or 'limo' rain guar of some sort.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I can't see any entry point for the water, like it's a drain for the pillar or something, so it must just bee what seeps through the rubber/window seem. But one would think that it'd drain on it's own vs waiting for the door to open. I can see this being a weark/rust point if it were to hold water frequently.

I never noticed the run off issue, but I don't open windows when it's wet out. I guess the luggage rack is supposed to stop it? But most cars have a drip rail or 'limo' rain guar of some sort.
The weatherseal at the bottom of the window isn't completely water tight. I'm guessing thats where the water gets into the door. How much you are getting is a concern though... I don't get that much.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
The weatherseal at the bottom of the window isn't completely water tight. I'm guessing thats where the water gets into the door. How much you are getting is a concern though... I don't get that much.
I'd be more concerned if I lived in a we enviroment, ie pacific NW, SFO, Hawaii, etc. here in OK we get rain like this (the all day soakers, 4" +) like 1-2 times a year, most rains come in storms, gushers (gully washers if you will) drops 1" of rain in an hour or less, then sun's out steaming things up!

Soon I'll convince the wife we need a garage door opener for our new garage 9all ready to full to walk in) so we can par her inside (the FEH not the wife! )

But it is strange that drain hole must meet with the door seal to hold that much water. Wouldn't it suck to park you FEH in FL for the weeks it's been raining there, and open the doors to a puddle inside and not know where it came from!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've had that happen a few times - when parked in the driveway with the front end pointed downhill.

If I recall (without having to go outside and look) at the bottom of the door where the sheet metal is rolled up to the inside there is an open hole towards the rear of the door. I think the water goes in at the top gap between the door and roof frame, can't get inside because of the gasket, so it flows down around the gasket and ends up getting dumped into this "channel" when it gets to the bottom. The when the door is opened it then goes "level" and dumps the water back out of this channel.

It never happens to me when the car is parked level or pointed uphill.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The water came out of the door itself?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, sort of - I don't believe it comes from inside the door cavity, but from a little "ledge" at the bottom of the door that can collect water.

I just went out and looked again, and the door does have two large drain holes to get moisture out of the door cavity, but I think what looks like is happening is that right below those drain holes is where the exterior sheet metal is bent up to the inside to form the bottom of the door, and this creates a bit of a "lip" or "channel" where water can accumulate if the conditions are just right. It's pretty wide up at the front, so I'm guessing most of the water accumulates there. Then when the door is opened the water will run along the bottom of the door and dump out the rear bottom corner of the door.

I think I may use a bit of silicone caulk to fill up that channel so water can't accumulate there.

Last edited by chesterakl; 08-24-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
The water came out of the door itself?
Mine came out of the door itself, like the door was a cup, and opening it broke the seal to the drain hole to open and let the water out.

I never noticed before, but never had a long, continious rain before; I suppose it just couldn't drain as fast as water collected inside. I'll try to post a pic soon (hard when we both drive it & have oppsoite shifts).

Did crack open the Workshop Manual I bought, and it simply says:
Drain holes collecting water - Holes clogged with mud or road tar - CLEAN drain holes od foregin material with a punch or screwdriver. CHECK drain holes regularly
I didn't see any clogs, I think it was simply raining faster than the hold could drain, esp when closed.

Last edited by 08hybridok; 08-26-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add pic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: door drain?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands