A/C cooling problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default A/C cooling problem

First, greetings to all here. I've been browsing the threads here and have found some really good information. Looks like there are some positive, knowledgeable people in these forums.

I did a search for anything related to A/C and didn't find anything quite like the problem I'm experiencing.

I have an '05 2WD Escape Hybrid with about 106k on the odometer. It runs great, gets a steady 27mpg at 70+mph with the A/C constantly on (hot here in TX!) doing an 80 mile commute every day with weekend family outings.

Recently I noticed the A/C seemed to not cool at all unless I was moving, even on MAX A/C. If I'm driving down the road, it seems to cool fairly well but not at full efficiency. My first thought was that it might be low on coolant, so I took it in to have it recharged at a local shop. The mechanic purged and recharged it, but said it still wasn't cooling properly and he believed it might be a larger problem. They didn't have the skillset to determine the cause and recommended taking it to a dealership. I talked to a friend who had experienced a similar issue with his VW Jetta and his problem turned out to be that the condensor fan had gone out.

Before I take this into the dealer, I wanted to get a better idea of any other possible causes for this issue.. so I don't have to worry about taking the news sitting down! What other issues might cause the A/C to only operate while the vehicle is in motion? If I need to provide more info, please advise.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: A/C cooling problem

The fan is easy, go out and look or listen! It is electric and very loud.

In fact, you can turn the A/C to max before you start the engine, put the key to run ( no start ) and go out and listen, if you hear the fan, you are OK, it will run without the engine, and you either know, or rule that one out right away.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

To clarify for myself, you are referring to the condensor fan located on the radiator fan assembly correct? Because if that's true, then that would appear to be the problem. I did as you stated, turned on the A/C to max and set the ignition to run. The cabin fan came on, but the condensor fan under the hood didn't.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 AM

Ok, that is what I was suggesting. Next look at your fuses for the fan.
It could be a 99 cent fix if you have a blown fuse. Repetitive blown fuzes, and this suggests a cut or worn wire along the way making a short, or the fan motor is shot.

Just to be 100% sure, and to rule out software differences between yours and mine, START the car, go out with an open hood and LOOK and see if the condenser fan is moving.

The condenser fan should be on at all times the A/C is on.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I verified that with the A/C on max, both fans were running. So this is likely not something so simple... which equates to more expensive. I would have been happy with a 99 cent fix lol. Even a couple hundred bucks for replacement fan would not have been bad. I'll report back when I have more info.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 PM

Good luck. Maybe it is an intermittent problem, which is a pain in the ___ to find. Check all electrical connections. How much time of your own are you willing to invest?

Oh... the A/C compressor is belt driven from the engine. Is the belt worn or slipping?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast

I don't hear any squealing from the belt, though I realize that doesn't necessarily mean it's not slipping. My concern was that the cabin A/C and the battery A/C were tied together, so that if the cabin was getting hot it must surely mean that the battery was roasting. But from what I'm seeing, that might not be the case?

I'm looking through my PDF service manual right now to see if I come across anything related to this issue.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice on the 06 Mariner Hyrbid cooling fans that was not working. The fuse was blown and I replace it for about 3 dollars from the local parts place. I have over 166 thousand miles on my vehicle and its overall been running good. The air conditioner was not cooling which was also an indicator the fans were not working. The Mariner would not start the fans with the AC on Max and the key in the on position but upon starting the fans engaged with the new fuse.

I average around 24+ on the highway but that's not to bad as I was born with a lead foot... This car has been great and continually cruises on 200 mile trips every couple of weeks with the car running 75-78 MPH with no problems.

Last edited by MarinerHybridCruzer; 07-31-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 08 mariner and 08 escape. The escape works find but the mariner a/c is not as cold as the ford. I took both into my buddy's shop test them at the same time and the mariner does not blow as cold as the escape. All the mechanical parts work just fine and the a/c show it is full of freon but the gauges jump around one both. My buddy is not to in the know with hybrids so he said that might be how they run.

We even ran them with gas pedal down so that there wasn't a chance of the electrical system would kick in but it looks like it still does with the pedal down because the gauges would still go up and down.

Out side of the name badge they are the same. The mariner does of a factory gps unit and dvd headrest players. I had both mecs pumps changed at around 60k one by the dealer and one on road trip by the only certified mobile hybrid mechanic in Socal (Randy). The dealer "reprogrammed" the Ford and Randy just cleared the codes on the mariner but I am pretty sure that is the same thing. I think the dealer just wanted to get something out of me because it was covered by my warranty. I also have a towing package on the Mariner and have used it to tow some heavier item then the 1k lbs they recommend.

Anyone have an idea of what the gauges should read and if they are suppose to vary while on max?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:49 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Bob23
I have an 08 mariner and 08 escape. The escape works find but the mariner a/c is not as cold as the ford. I took both into my buddy's shop test them at the same time and the mariner does not blow as cold as the escape. All the mechanical parts work just fine and the a/c show it is full of freon but the gauges jump around one both. My buddy is not to in the know with hybrids so he said that might be how they run.

We even ran them with gas pedal down so that there wasn't a chance of the electrical system would kick in but it looks like it still does with the pedal down because the gauges would still go up and down.

Out side of the name badge they are the same. The mariner does of a factory gps unit and dvd headrest players. I had both mecs pumps changed at around 60k one by the dealer and one on road trip by the only certified mobile hybrid mechanic in Socal (Randy). The dealer "reprogrammed" the Ford and Randy just cleared the codes on the mariner but I am pretty sure that is the same thing. I think the dealer just wanted to get something out of me because it was covered by my warranty. I also have a towing package on the Mariner and have used it to tow some heavier item then the 1k lbs they recommend.

Anyone have an idea of what the gauges should read and if they are suppose to vary while on max?
In the automotive A/C forum that I frequent are full time A/C techs. They say that there is no way to tell if the system has a full charge other than recovery and weighing the refrigerant. Gauges are for diagnostics after the system is fully charged.

Quick Reply: A/C cooling problem

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands