Check Engine / IMA Light On!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Check Engine / IMA Light On!

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a used 2008 Civic Hybrid and got a VERY good deal on it, knowing that the IMA battery may need to be replaced. About 20 minutes after I got the car, sure enough, the little amber IMA light with the check engine icon popped up, just like in this photograph here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...cals-photo.jpg

Is this just ironic that it happened RIGHT AFTER I picked the car up?? Or was it somehow hidden? The car was parked for 8+ hours and when turned back on, it's still there. What's hard for me is that I can't really tell if the car is acting abnormal since I have zero experience with the car. It will do the auto stop when I'm at a light sometimes, but not always, and the battery assist comes on here and there, but I'm not sure if it's using more fuel than it should, as I haven't gone through a whole tank yet.

I looked at the thread that had that image attached, and it sounds like it could be the IMA (expensive) battery, or even the 12V (cheap) battery. Will the solution take both the IMA and check engine light away once it's fixed? Anyone else have this issue, and is it usually the IMA battery that it will need? If anyone could give me any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

Trevor

Old 12-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check Engine / IMA Light On!

Originally Posted by trevorpdx
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a used 2008 Civic Hybrid
What is the warranty period in your state on the IMA for that model year? Usually that warranty is very long, and that is only 5 or 6 years, so it should be covered. The one down side to having Honda fix it under warranty - they will put in a used battery, and it will not last as long as a new one would. (From first hand experience with a 2003 HCH1 IMA failure.)

Old 12-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

I am looking for a transmission for 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. I bought an Engine from (edited to delete link) before but they don't have it. Can someone suggest where can I buy from ?

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 12-10-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me, check engine light and IMA light turned on the day after purchasing my 06 HCH. Your car sounds like it's pretty normal besides for that, the auto stop doesn't happen all the time same with the assist. I ha my IMA battery fixed for free because it was under warranty so I would see if yours is! I think mine was a 80,000 mile/7 year Warrenty ifk if they all are the same

Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

I think whoever sold you these cars may have known there was a problem with the battery and erased the codes and turned off the check engine lights, etc. Then, these lights will come back on eventually.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

Check eBay for Hybrid Transmissions.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

Go to the dealer nothing to lose so much to gain... I did my car washo salvage and a dealer refuse me the other not,, Ir hace a new battery now