2013 C-Max Energi

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Default 2013 C-Max Energi

Hi folks

I told BillyK I would get 5,000 miles on my first tank of gas 7 months ago.

Update, I have over 3,400 miles now and used 7 gallons of gas according to my OEM computer. My lifetime MPG is 435mpg today, and that's running the A/C 100% of the time.

Just wish Ford would have stayed with their plan of a plug-in FEH, but the Energi will have to do now.

Tax time is coming soon and I'll get the $4,007 and a ~$300 level 2 charger installation tax credit. It's nice topping off the battery (tank) at home for less than 70 cents, and free at locations along my routes.

Hypermiling a EV is just like hypermiling a gas hog, but you save much more. I do all the same techniques, but drive much faster now. Using P&G in EV gives you much better torque than gas, and the glide in "N" saves battery Energy like you wouldn't believe.

Gary

Old 12-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2013 C-Max Energi

Thanks for the update. With federal law mandating higher auto mpg figures, it is possible the FEH could return in the future.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just curious if you have in any way tried to keep track of how much your electricity costs have been charging up your 'Energi'.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by us035976
Just curious if you have in any way tried to keep track of how much your electricity costs have been charging up your 'Energi'.
There is a lifetime KWh gauge on Energi's produced before July of 2013 like mine was. The gauge only shows KWh used by the car and not the KWh coming from the wall. There are conversion losses both charging the battery and driving the electric motors. Of course the 12V battery also is charged by the HV battery, and that uses energy while parked. You can check your Energi's charge level range, plug-in mode and all sorts of information with your smartphone or computer with MY Form Mobil, but that wakes-up the 12V system and drains it for about a half hour or so each time.

As far as electricity cost, I haven't notice a change in my bill since I got the car. I even precondition the cabin with the A/C while plugged-in to increase the EV range of the battery. Those KWh are counted on the lifetime KWh gauge.

Clearly, plug-ins are the way to go today. I installed a 40amp level 2 charger which is way over kill for the Energi, but my plans for future bigger EV's is the way I'll go from now on. All the complaints are about how poor MPG is in hybrid mode, and I agree. I got better MPG in my '09 FEH than I can in my Energi.

GaryG

Old 12-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here is a question for Gary:

In the hybrid mode, does the SOC range from 15% to 60% with EV no longer possible at 15% and MG1 shutting off at 60%?

OOPS! With your world record leading MPG figures, I don't think you drive too much in the hybrid mode.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Here is a question for Gary:

In the hybrid mode, does the SOC range from 15% to 60% with EV no longer possible at 15% and MG1 shutting off at 60%?

OOPS! With your world record leading MPG figures, I don't think you drive too much in the hybrid mode.
You're right, I stay out of hybrid mode if I can, but long EV trips do cause me to drop SoC below 22.5% where hybrid mode starts. This is just like a cold start in the FEH, so you're talking about 25mpg for a few miles until the engine warms up. In hybrid mode you can go EV after warm-up, but it acts like the FEH and starts again it you give it much power.

In EV mode from 22.5% - 100% SoC, you have to really step on it to get the engine to start. This is real nice because you can accelerate in all traffic in EV mode without the engine starting. Even my wife with a heavy foot can drive the Energi in EV now the entire trip if she has more than 22.5% SoC.

No matter what, the SoC is programmed never to go below 14.5%. Ford changed programming in July of 2013, so I don't know if this changed also. My Energi was built before the July changes, so I'm happy. I think the changes were mad to reduce MPG in hybrid mode by not allowing MG1 to charge as much. Ford had to reduce EPA estimates from 47/47/47, and I think the plan included reducing MG1 charging also.

So, there is no reduction of MG2 after 60% regen like in the FEH. In fact, I have to be careful with SoC near 100% not to use L or too much braking because it will cause overcharging and the engine will start-up to burn off energy with MG1. This means I have to shift to N when applying the brakes until the SoC drops to about 98% so the engine doesn't start-up. If the engine does start, it will continue to run till warm-up is complete. I found a way to avoid this by shutting off the engine and restarting it in EV mode.

Gary

Old 12-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder how the Energi handles cold climates. My 08 FEH hates the cold and I burn through gas like its going out of style when the temp drops below -5c. Even plugging in the block heater doesnt help.

I love my FEH in the warmer temps but right now, I kind of hate it and looking back, wasn't the best move to purchase with our cold winters.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by wbonville
I wonder how the Energi handles cold climates. My 08 FEH hates the cold and I burn through gas like its going out of style when the temp drops below -5c. Even plugging in the block heater doesnt help.

I love my FEH in the warmer temps but right now, I kind of hate it and looking back, wasn't the best move to purchase with our cold winters.
The '13 Energi is the same way. I have no problems here in South Florida, but I'm hearing nothing but bad from the snow birds. I've learned to handle the heat just fine here, and my winters will just improve my MPG.

Gary

Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 PM

Got my $775 check from Ford today for overestimating the EPA rating on my 2013 C-Max Energi. The revised EPA went from 42mpg to 38mpg, and MPGe went from 100 to 88mpge. I'm at 408mpg and 123 MPGe lifetime today with 6,100 miles, so thanks for the check Ford.

I put $600 of it down and ordered one to replace my Sons '12 Focus SEL. I ordered him a black with stone interior Energi, with the 302A package like he wanted.

Another $4,007 tax credit this year would be great.

Also, FYI I had clear Air Blue heat shield tint put on my windshield for $129. I highly recommend it if you live in a hot climate.

Gary

Old 08-29-2014, 06:41 PM

Update, I posted my first tank at http://www.cleanmpg.com/cmps_index.php?page=garage for my '13 C-Max Energi. I am presently at 6706 miles, an MPG of 447.7, and used 14.98 gallons of gas since new. I'm using about half the KWh and exceed the MPG by almost 100mpg as the best hypermiler with a Volt.

Bottom line, the C-Max Energi has taken over the lead in plug-in Hybrids and all gas powered vehicles so far for MPG. I have 401 miles on my engine, so when I sell the car, it will still be new. The maintenance cost will be minimal, because oil changes are recommended at 20,000 miles or 2 years, and there are no belts to change. I'm estimating I will be at 1,000mpg at 20,000 miles, A far cry above 40mpg of the better FEH drivers at this site.

Gary

Quick Reply: 2013 C-Max Energi

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands