CVT Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default CVT Transmission

I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid and I think I'm having a problem with my transmission. While driving the car, as I speed up the car/transmission is not downshifting. Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions? It's a CVT type transmission.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Default Re: CVT Transmission

Originally Posted by sullyr1
I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid and I think I'm having a problem with my transmission. While driving the car, as I speed up the car/transmission is not downshifting. Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions? It's a CVT type transmission.
All Ford Hybrid have eCVT and they don't up shift or downshift.

Gary

Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

As noted above, CVT transmissions don't "shift" gears as they use a variable gear ratio that matches engine demand to speed and torque requirements.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds like a typical CVT to me. Theres technically not, "gears" like a traditional transmission has, so theres really no downshifting.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:54 AM
Imported from Detroit

News flash! Chrysler, who doesn't even have an hybrid, electric, etc. uses a variable ratio non-shifting transmission in some of their vehicles.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sullyr1
I assume you are a new FEH owner. My question is: Does the engine NOT rev up as you press harder on the accelerator? My first impressions when I got my FEH a year and a half ago was sorta the opposite - Isn't this thing ever going to UPshift? I'd back off because of the higher revving than I was used to with a regular tranny. Now I just let'er rev up knowing it'll slow down as I gain speed.
Has anyone ever heard of the CVT not working right and 'smooth-shifting down' and letting that engine rev up?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
News flash! Chrysler, who doesn't even have an hybrid, electric, etc. uses a variable ratio non-shifting transmission in some of their vehicles.
Honda uses one in the non-hybrid 4-cylinder Accord too.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think some day people will see the behavior of today's automatic and standard transmissions as torturing the engines by forcing them to operate outside their most efficient rpm's at both ends of every gear change.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Love my Escape

Does anyone have any facts or opinions about doing a flush on the CVT? I've heard mixed opinions about whether they're really needed if you aren't having any issues... that doing a flush can actually dislodge gunk/particles and cause problems. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by TLCinAZ
Does anyone have any facts or opinions about doing a flush on the CVT? I've heard mixed opinions about whether they're really needed if you aren't having any issues... that doing a flush can actually dislodge gunk/particles and cause problems. Thanks!
All FEH's have a lifetime fluid from the factory for the sealed eCVT. More people void their warranty by changing the fluid and using a non approved fluid. This is not like the old automatics with torque converters that needed flushing.

Gary

Quick Reply: CVT Transmission

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands