Camry suddenly loosing oil

Old 04-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Camry suddenly loosing oil

A few months ago our 2007 started making a ding sound when turning corners. Took it to the dealer and they said dipstick did not hit oil. We thought our local mechanic had botched our last oil change. No problem for a while, checked it once a week. Then took it in for maintenance again today and no oil again. Dealer says $3000-4000 to fix. We have almost 200,000 miles on it. Anyone had the same problem or know what could be going on.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Camry suddenly loosing oil

Is the engine leaking oil or burning it? For the price mentioned by your dealer, I would hope he quoted installing a new engine but without knowing a bit more than you have given us, it would be impossible to tell you anything.

By the way, you should check the oil in your car every time you fill the gas tank or every 500 miles.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, the dealer was not very specific about what the problem was other than no oil and not very specific about what repair might be necessary, other than the cost. Seems like they could have seen more on inspecting the car. They want us to bring it in every 1000 miles, but we live an hour and a half from any dealer. I don't think it is burning oil, but it is not my car and I don't drive it, except today to get it to the dealer for the oil change. It is my husbands car and he just had cancer surgery so I am kind of out of the loop. He was checking it once a week until he had the surgery and there was no problem. I will get underneath it tomorrow and see what I can see, and put some newspaper under the engine and see if I get any drips.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:45 AM
Professor Emeritus

You are not the only one. Some have it worse than others. It is a common problem and one of those things that Toyota "knows about", but is not willing to fix unless numerous documented complaints are made. They are several folks that have actually had their entire engines overhauled by Toyota for oil consumption.

I forget the details... Something about small passages getting plugged or something along those lines.

Ours has always used a little oil and I check it weekly, because I am aware of the problem. I change our oil every 7500 miles and over those miles, I need to add an additional quart to keep it from running down to the low mark.

We are about to hit 200,000 as well and the oil consumption has been about the same since we have owned it.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
You are not the only one. Some have it worse than others. It is a common problem and one of those things that Toyota "knows about", but is not willing to fix unless numerous documented complaints are made. They are several folks that have actually had their entire engines overhauled by Toyota for oil consumption.

I forget the details... Something about small passages getting plugged or something along those lines.

Ours has always used a little oil and I check it weekly, because I am aware of the problem. I change our oil every 7500 miles and over those miles, I need to add an additional quart to keep it from running down to the low mark.

We are about to hit 200,000 as well and the oil consumption has been about the same since we have owned it.
The issue you are referring to was on Corollas, not Camrys.
To the OP, the mechanic is probably quoting you to just replace the engine, which is something I personally wouldnt do on a car with 200,000 miles on it. No sense in spending more on a repair than the vehicle is worth. My advice would be that unless you can find the source of the leak, Id fill it up with oil, drive it to the dealership and trade it in.

Last edited by Shogun; 04-05-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Shogun
To the OP, the mechanic is probably quoting you to just replace the engine, which is something I personally wouldnt do on a car with 200,000 miles on it. No sense in spending more on a repair than the vehicle is worth.
Negative... Do your research and return.

This "overhaul" was just done on a Camry TCH that was monitored for oil consumption over on TN. Not the first one either....

The TCH "is affected"....

Edit:

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf

Last edited by litespeed; 04-05-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: edited for more content
Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Shogun
To the OP, the mechanic is probably quoting you to just replace the engine, which is something I personally wouldnt do on a car with 200,000 miles on it. No sense in spending more on a repair than the vehicle is worth. My advice would be that unless you can find the source of the leak, Id fill it up with oil, drive it to the dealership and trade it in.
In detail:

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf

Old 04-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt that the TSB problem outlined is what is happening to this engine. With no problem for 200,000 miles and a sudden start to oil loss, there is either a major leak or something happened in the engine (cracked ring, blown head gasket, etc..).

Old 04-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
I doubt that the TSB problem outlined is what is happening to this engine. With no problem for 200,000 miles and a sudden start to oil loss, there is either a major leak or something happened in the engine (cracked ring, blown head gasket, etc..).
Agreed... Either way it is a "known and documented issue".

And it DOES affect the Camry.

Don't really care either way. Just posting facts.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for all the discussion. At the risk of sounding like a dumb woman (and I am not-I know the answer to this question on my car), how does the Camry hybrid tell you the oil is low? It is my husbands car and he just had surgery, so I don't want to ask him, but I know that the only way we knew the oil was low was a ding sound and a quick flash message when turning. This time their was no ding or message. I am used to an oil gauge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camry suddenly loosing oil

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands