What's your favorite mod on a 2008 FEH?

Old 04-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default What's your favorite mod on a 2008 FEH?

I just picked up my first FEH: a nicer 2008 model with AWD, leather, nav, audiophile, and sunroof. I had to fly to California to complete the purchase, but I scored a screaming deal from a private seller and now I have it back home in Idaho and am loving it!

I've always been a bit of a tinkerer (software engineer by day - must be in my blood) and I'm wondering what sorts of mods people have successfully pulled off on this model?

I'd LOVE to be able to have a working backup camera that can hook up to the built-in NAV system. I know aftermarket double-din systems are great, but I'd lose all the mpg info, which is awesome as-is.

I'd also LOVE to be able to have a bluetooth connection to the stereo from my iPhone.

I read through several posts tonight on this forum about people asking (way back in 2008-9) if these things were possible.... seems like there was some supposition that you could get a 2009 factory stereo and it would be pin-compatible and provide some of these features.

There was also talk of an upgrade path via an external module that perhaps Ford would provide for the '08 to add Bluetooth/USB to the factory NAV.

Has anyone managed any hacks that provide any of the above?

What other hacks / mods have you installed? I'd love to hear!

-- Kimball

Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What's your favorite mod on a 2008 FEH?

Yes I have to admit one of my favorite mods has been an aftermarket nav system with 7" touchscreen, backup camera, Bluetooth, etc. topped off with Dynamat Xtreme in the doors and aftermarket speakers. No automotive OEM like Ford provides factory upgrades to electronics, they want to sell new cars.
IMO once you get used to driving a FEH the mpg display isn't that important but if you still want it you can retrofit a non-nav gage cluster or just get a Scangage that can give you everything.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
Yes I have to admit one of my favorite mods has been an aftermarket nav system with 7" touchscreen, backup camera, Bluetooth, etc. topped off with Dynamat Xtreme in the doors and aftermarket speakers. No automotive OEM like Ford provides factory upgrades to electronics, they want to sell new cars.
IMO once you get used to driving a FEH the mpg display isn't that important but if you still want it you can retrofit a non-nav gage cluster or just get a Scangage that can give you everything.
Good thoughts. Which aftermarket nav system did you install?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quangdog
Good thoughts. Which aftermarket nav system did you install?

Thanks!
I have an Alpine. I thought it was nice that they threw in the backup camera with the head unit for 'value added'. I've had a Kenwood too some years back but it just wasn't a very solid performer in my experience. I'm sure all major brands are basically good, it's mostly personal preference.
You might be able to get some deals on leftover 2013 head units now before the summer season starts.