Soon to be new hyrid owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Soon to be new hyrid owner

Up sizing from a jeep grand Cherokee diesel, and wanted something with decent mileage. All my research kept bringing me back to a yukon/tahoe hybrid.

So, I have been reading everything I could about how these rigs work, and wanted to say thanks to those who take the time to contribute here. I wouldn't have considered a used hybrid had I not read through this forum.

I should be picking up a 2010 tahoe hybrid layer today. 91k miles on it. I will do all fluids, plugs, and the filter under the oil pressure sensor this week.

Any other hybrid maintenance I should consider? Apparently there is a separate coolant system up front for the dmcm?

Thanks again for all the info thus far!

Old 09-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Administrator

The hybrid warranty is until 8 years/100k miles. If you know the dealer or if its their local trade try to ask for the service history. Before the warranty expires, have them scan the the hybrid for codes regarding the 300V hybrid battery. Is it 4wd? If it is, try to replace the differential fluids, transfer case fluid, transmission fluid too. Use only synthetic Mobil 1 5W/30 extended performance and you will have enjoyable long term driving with it.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Soon to be new hyrid owner

I purchased it. Quite excited.

I will do the driveline service this week and have them scan for codes as well.

Any reason to request software updates, or if it isn't broke, maybe I shouldn't have them messing with modules?

Are there any base iv stock oils recommended? Or, just stick with 5-30 and good enough?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Software updates will help you down the road for failures that would have been covered under warranty. Stick with Mobil 1 5w/30 synthetic extended performance. It has AFM, variable valve timing and synthetic is important.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks again.

I just hit a deer driving it home from the dealer, so it will be back there tomorrow for a headlight and a new front end. They will have plenty of time for the driveline service and software updates!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by westnewton
Thanks again.

I just hit a deer driving it home from the dealer, so it will be back there tomorrow for a headlight and a new front end. They will have plenty of time for the driveline service and software updates!
Sorry to hear. Hopefully not that much damage. Make it not a hindrance in loving this very high tech vehicle.

Last edited by evois; 09-02-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
Sorry to hear. Hopefully not that much damage. Make it not a hindrance in loving this very high tech vehicle.
It was 1 AM and I didn't get a great look, but it is drivable. I need a new lower fascia, 2 tow-hook cover plates, center grill, and the entire passenger side headlight assembly.

Mechanically though, there are no issues that I could tell with the final 45 miles of driving I did after hitting the deer.

State patrol was a bit amused that I hit a deer (my first accident) with a car i hadn't owned for 5 hours yet.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Administrator

That's good then that its drive able.