08 tahoe hybrid won't start with key but starts with remote

Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default 08 tahoe hybrid won't start with key but starts with remote

long story in short version. truck is back from all the repairs but the key will not make it start. If I push the remote start button on the remote, it will start just fine. I had purchased a new key and had it programmed. no change. newest software upgrades are done too, no change. Shop replaced the key reader on the steering column, no change.
No dealership close by just a shop with the GM computer and they gave up on this. Absolutely no way to start with the key only with the remote.
All other functions works and once started everything works, no error no trouble. Key opens door and tested to be a good programmed key.

We have now 3 keys for the truck and none will start it. Any ideas what could it be ?
Plese don't say to take it to a dealer, 400+ miles is the closest dealer and towing would be over a 1000usd if not more.

Vehicle is a US built vehicle which was shipped to Europe and ran perfectly fine until this spring when the truck had a hybrid battery fault. It was changed and then a transmission wiring needed to be changed, along with a auxiliary pump etc. After all this work, the key won't starts the truck.

I think somehow this trouble is related to the hybrid system but no explanation why would it work with the remote and not with a key. Obviously the hybrid system which starts the truck works fine, its the key that does not communicates with the hybrid system.

anybody ever had a similar issues ? I heard a lot of no-start issues but it was all just a battery issue. My battery is just fine (the 12V does not starts the truck only the hybrid motor/battery) since it starts fine with the remote.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Administrator
Default Re: 08 tahoe hybrid won't start with key but starts with remote

it probably is the steering key transponder that can read the key chip. an alarm remote start installer should be the person to contact and just install a aftermarket alarm or if they can try to build to existing system.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I know what do you mean. we Did chang that steering column responder 3 weeks ago. That is the one that goes around the ign lock cylinder and reads the key code. Also when they programmed the key it was tested to the system, the car does reads the key. The trouble is when turned it does not gives the signal to the computer to initiate the start procedure.

It sounds simple trouble but many smart person has given up on this. I'm trying this way as many great ideas can lead to the final one.

Your idea is good, we really thought this was going to be the solution but alas it was not.

Thanks anyway, its good to pick other brains when yours are already failed

Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Administrator

any codes?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A key needs to be "learned" in both engine and hybrid controllers. This may be a wiring issue. If the ignition switch accessory and run/crank circuits do not get to the body controller properly it may not crank. Does the accessory position work? Run? Do the accessories like wipers, radio, and lights stop when in the crank position?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Administrator

the ACC, IGN1 AND IGN2 must have been reversed. i double check of the install would be necessary. I have installed two way alarms before.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast

yes, there are codes :

ECM P0633
EBCM C0561 Rollover sensor b0090 B1000.

The rollover sensor codes were there before intermittently but now they are permanent. However I do not think that would block the car from start with key, while the car's own factory remote can start it.

I want to point out that this is not an aftermarket remote starter, this is the factory alarm. It has a remote start function - most likely the hybrid only.
So there has been no ignition wire cutting, splicing, modification.

Here is something I just learned today. The car's last key was lost prior to the tow to the shop. They had no key to start the car or anything but the remote. But they needed a key to deactivate the strg column lock so it was trailed in.
So once the key was ordered and programmed the trouble started.
It does recognizes the key - TDM codes cleared 1 key it shows up in TDM data.

Here is a mechanic's note - word by word translation - sorry for the bad English here.

PCM code P0633 Theft deterrent code. means key not programmed??? I tried for 10 minutes, relearn 30 minutes relearn ,TIS TDM reprogramming Did re-flash TDM then started the key programming .No no luck.I try TIS TDM reprogramming like if the ECM TDM replaced it starts the process,download the programming on the screen ignition on off like it in the anther method but nothing happens after this,. the MDI is blinking fast like it is doing something but nothing happens. I wait 35 minutes and nothing ,the program froze. Is there anything I'm missing here? Any more tricks I need to do ? Truck has ONLY dtc :ECM P0633 EBCM C0561 .Rollover sensor b0090 B1000.

Well to me it seems that the key programming is not complete due to the fact that there is no other "old" programmed key. Isn't it ? This is just my guess here but after reading so much about this, it seems like a huge issue.

The shop says if they reprogram the key with the GM computer then it does not matter if there is a key or not.

I think it does. I'd like to talk to a GM tech and confirm this but the dealership I called gave a cold answer - bring the truck in and we will fix it. When I tried to explain the truck is 7500 miles away from a closest US city then they said nothing they could (want) to do.
They are happy to take my money if I need a part but no help with this.

if I'm correct in the case of no old key, a BCM and ECM must be flashed out and a new key installed with a new theft module.
This is at least what LExus VW and others need if there is no key for the car any longer.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The key is learned in both Engine ECM and Hybrid HCM. If not it may not go.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Administrator

It's a key issue then. Only dealer can program or an alarm shop.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Administrator

any updates? resolved?