Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, FEH Replacement?

Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, FEH Replacement?

Wondering what to get if your FEH dies?

Mitsubishi is going to bring their PHEV version of their Outlander to North America. This looks like it will be the closest thing to an Escape Hybrid, but has some valuable improvements.

It can go up to 30 miles on a charge, and in EV mode up to 60mph. You can command it to run the engine to charge the battery. Another is that it has 6 selectable levels of regenerative braking available, which means that unlike the FEH, it will have effective "engine braking" on long steep descents. This will reduce use of the brakes and improve mileage. Available in FWD and AWD, the AWD has a button to force 50/50 front/rear torque distribution, although the rear wheels are driven by another electric motor.

It's already for sale and doing well in Europe.
http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/qui...ro-spec/?all=1

Last edited by xspirit; 09-26-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Default Re: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, FEH Replacement?

I think it would be great if the Outlander PHEV made it to the US! As I understand, we won't get the current model but the next version which will be a 2016. Yes the Outlander PHEV raises the bar above the FEH and also the C-Max since it has AWD.
Volvo also promises their new XC90 will have a PHEV version (they are also selling a diesel V60 PHEV in other countries)
In the meantime the AWD FEH's absence is filled by other compact SUV hybrids like the Subaru XV Crosstrek and the upcoming Lexus NX300h.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by D-mac
I think it would be great if the Outlander PHEV made it to the US! As I understand, we won't get the current model but the next version which will be a 2016. Yes the Outlander PHEV raises the bar above the FEH and also the C-Max since it has AWD.
Volvo also promises their new XC90 will have a PHEV version (they are also selling a diesel V60 PHEV in other countries)
In the meantime the AWD FEH's absence is filled by other compact SUV hybrids like the Subaru XV Crosstrek and the upcoming Lexus NX300h.
My problem with the Crosstrek is that it's significantly smaller than the FEH, and my impression is that the mileage is unimpressive. Of course the Lexus is in another price bracket, and I expect it has a rear electric motor rather than a driveshaft. And I think it's overstyled, but that's just my opinion.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Lexus will soon be selling their hybrid version of the RAV4.