Understanding the 2.0 DOHC I4 iVCT

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Understanding the 2.0 DOHC I4 iVCT

While I've never been a serious car guy, generally was fairly knowledgeable about my particular vehicle's engine particulars, what to check regularly, what quirks it had, and most importantly what to tell the parts guy to get the right part when something needed replaced. Not as big a deal with the C-Max as there is only the one size, but still want to fill that somewhat murky gap in my knowledge base eventually.

As with all things C-Max related, having a hard time finding specifics to fill in my knowledge gap. Ford being secretive (not parting with the BSFC curve for example) and the C-Max being so new certainly does not help. Main thing I'm trying to determine is how applicable information gleaned from other vehicles with the 2.0, will be applicable. Given the 'aero' changes from 2013 to 2014, it's easy to assume there are other tweaks to each new models 2.0 either physically or program wise that might make comparison iffy, impossible, or irrelavant. For instance the NRG has a conventional closed loop catalytic converter setup vs the Hybrid's Exhaust heat energy recapture cooled manicat. Whether one heats up faster than the other or the hybrid's has additional cooling built in to avoid overheating when running more often is a question worth pondering once we start splitting hairs at least. Hard to say which is better for mpg, assuming the Ford engineers most likely chose it based on emission concerns.

Even the table below with data specific to the 2013 does not really help in translating from a controlled test to real world guidance on maxing the performance of the 2.0. Particularly when you try to tie the battery drain into the mix. Maybe someone with more technical expertise can glean something useful from this as the cycle type seems to be far more important than whether the battery gained or lost charge over the given distance. And google does not seem to want to define SSS 0% cycle easily. (I'm assuming steady state at 0% grade to get that 50+)

Still every little bit helps add to the pile and hopefully someday we will be able to sift out the most useful bits to keep in the back of our minds while driving. Becomes even murkier when you look at the 2013 C-Max specs.pdf. Apparently it has not been updated to reflect the PCM update and other changes. Still shows 62 mph limit for all electric mode for the hybrid, along with the old 47 mpg number. Interestingly the range of 570 miles calculates to 42.2, almost exactly the new 43 combined mpg.

Found it almost comical that some of the extra range from the NRG comes from .5 gallon bigger fuel tank. You'd think the hybrid would have the bigger tank, but maybe Ford had a good reason to opt for 2 different size tanks and to put the bigger one in the NRG. So comparing miles per tank between the 2 needs a fudge factor of 20ish miles not including the 21 miles from a full charge, if you want to compare apples to apples.

2.0L DOHC I4 iVCT emulating Atkinson Cycle (141hp (105kW), 129lb-ft (175 N-m)
Motor/Generator-Permanent Magnet AC Synchronous: 118hp (88kW), 177lbft (240 Nm)
Transmission- HF35 eCVT hybrid powersplit transaxle, 2.57:1 Final Drive
Battery- 1.4 kWh Lithium-Ion (Li-Ni-Mn-Co-O2)

Downloadable Dynamometer Database

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2013_CMAX_Specs.pdf (77.4 KB, 759 views)
Old 11-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Warm Up Stages

Adapted from the FFH adaptations from Prius information floating around various forums. While one can never be entirely certain where Ford's programming draws certain lines (especially after the PCM update), these stages seem to go a long way in making some sense of the operating regions in all Ford hybrids with the 2.0 Atk.

Stage 0 (S0): Car begins in EV mode.
HVAC settings can prompt ICE on immediately
Exceeding the threshold bar in Empower will also prompt ICE on
Extremely cold battery or low useable SOC may also prompt ICE on

Stage 1a (S1a): Initial warm-up with late ignition timing and diminished engine power.
S1a is the worst stage because the ICE is on burning lots of fuel to warm up and the electric motor is assisting acceleration depleting the battery.
Easily seen from Engage screen as minimal white (ICE) kW with blue (EV) kW bar varying with accelerator pedal

S1a Bypass ---
a. After ICE on while in D downshift to L
b. Listen for engine rev indicating jump to S1b
c. Shift to D and continue driving normally
It is unknown what impact this might have on the life of the ICE or wear and tear on it, however this stage seems to be primarily about bringing sensors, etc up to operating temps for minimum emissions.

Stage 1b (S1b): Continued warm-up with normal ignition timing and power.
ICE will remain on until it reaches a specific coolant temp

Stage 2 (S2): Full Hybrid Operation
All modes available. ICE off during glide/stop and full EV mode available depending on pedal demand
If the ICE temp falls below 55C, you will go back into S1b if ICE engages. In the winter the car spends a lot of time going back and forth between S2 and S1b in city driving.
On the EMPOWER screen, S2 should be indicated by a growing blue threshold bar. Once threshold rises above demand, EV mode will kick in.

Notes
S1a bypass seems to be mostly about getting the most out of the initial engine burn and/or avoiding battery depletion to use it more efficiently in upcoming stretch. Difficult to say if it shortens the total run time to reach S2, although keeping useable SOC high may factor into when S2 can begin.

Post PCM update (13B07) it appears that S1b ends following the table below
  • <40C/104F: until 40C/104F.
  • 40C/104F to 45C/113F: until 45C/113F.
  • 45C/122F to 55C/140F: until 55C/131F.
  • The coolant temp can also now drop as low as 51C/124F before making the ICE run for heat
HVAC usage
If you have the heat turned on then the car will not move from S1b into S2 until the coolant temp reaches 50C. Heat use also makes the car much more likely to switch back into S1b after having been in S2.

Engine-off at stops and Engine-off gliding will not work while the window defogger is on, even if in a stage where they otherwise would work.

Some hybrid hypermilers report short trip FE savings by remote start/idling in park initially until S1b engages, particularly where low ambient temps require using defogger.

Last edited by SilverSurfer; 11-11-2014 at 12:36 PM.