Blown Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Blown Motor Question

Hey all, I'm new - not a real online person. My son suggested I try a web forum to help me out, so Please excuse me if I am breaking any rules by asking this question as a new member here.

I am almost positive I blew my motor today on an 06 ford escape hybrid. I was in the middle of no where, hunting, no cell signal driving. Had a slight tap, thought maybe I blew out a collector gasket on my exhaust manifold. got louder, then it felt like the drive shaft fell out.

Got out, check under the truck, it looked fine. Got back in the truck, drove fine for another couple miles. Then the tapping became louder, and the there was a lot of engine vibration. I pulled over and checked the oil, and it was dry. No check engine light. No Hazard pull over light. No oil light.

Middle of no where. Still no cell signal and getting dark and cold. Not a lot of choices - chose to press on and hope for the best - don't criticize my choice of driving please, walking wasn't really an option where I was.

I had some chain saw oil in the truck, dumped the quart in that I had, and made it about 10 more miles till I was able to get cell coverage. By this time I'm sure every bearing was spun. Lots of vibration. The gas pedal didn't even change the engine RPM. Would have power to the drive train about every 10 of 30 seconds. Would cut out if I was over 25 mph at any point. It did not feel like the hybrid drive was working either...

It's at a shop now, but I doubt it will be looked at for a few days - holidays and all. So I only have time to kill and trying to formulate what to do next.

FYI the truck has about 155k on it.

Assuming it's the engine, and without oil, I can't imagine it not being the engine, do I:

1. rebuild the motor? Is it possible? I see master rebuild kit ebay. Anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-FORD-ESCAPE-MERCURY-MARINER-2-3-L4-DOHC-16V-ENGINE-MASTER-REBUILD-KIT-/261618181252?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AEscape%7CSubmodel%3AHybrid&hash=item3ce9a8a484&vxp=mtr
2. Buy a new engine off ebay for 2k with about 100k miles on it.

3. Can it be converted to a non-hybrid? I know anything can be done with the right amount of money behind it. But is this something that can be done with a simple swap of engine and transmission maybe an AEM EMS if they make if for the escape? FYI it's an all wheel drive. I don't mind going 4WD or 2WD if that's what it takes, but I don't know if that requires more new parts/swapped parts.

4. Cut my losses and not have good money chasing bad money. Scrap the truck/part it out and get something else.

All input is welcomed. Thank you.

Last edited by scottsproblem; 12-20-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Blown Motor Question

Additional information:

Eventually the check engine light went on constant blink mode.

Oil light did eventually blink on a few times - never stayed on.

Dash display read check emissions system.

Thank you

Old 12-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

First thing to do: hook up a scanner to your vehicle and attempt to pull codes out of it. The codes will help direct you to the issue(s). My gut feeling is the issue is not the engine as your information is indicating the vehicle went into limp mode to protect itself. Bad/failed sensors will induce this vibration issue that I personally experience when a speed sensor failed and I had multiple warning lights come on.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:39 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk
First thing to do: hook up a scanner to your vehicle and attempt to pull codes out of it. The codes will help direct you to the issue(s). My gut feeling is the issue is not the engine as your information is indicating the vehicle went into limp mode to protect itself. Bad/failed sensors will induce this vibration issue that I personally experience when a speed sensor failed and I had multiple warning lights come on.
You must have missed where the OP stated that the dipstick was dry? That might not mean bone dry but very low indeed.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
That would be a christmass miracle.

It's at a shop now, so hopefully monday I'll have a better idea.

At some point did it feel like the drivetrain fell out? It felt like the the driveshaft cam out of the transmission... I assumed one of the bearings blowing out.

When you pressed the gas pedal, was there no response?

It did shut itself down multiple times. I had to restart it and push it further.

Upon restart I always was able to have forward power and I'd lose it in about 10 to 20 seconds. then it would come and go.

Did you have a ticking noise that sounded like a blown collector gasket for the exhaust?

Old 12-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If you are able to rebuild or replace the motor, it should be an interesting tale to tell! Junkyards usually aren't full of hybrid motors in good condition. Making things challenging in a motor swap you'll probably need to match model years for the best compatibility of sensors and computers. This work has been done before, but you might want to double check the current Blue Book value on your '06 before you make a decision. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Sounds like a scrapped engine to me guys. Sorry for that bad perspective.

A quick search for 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Engine For Sale found this. If run dry and spun bearings... that's tons of machining and specialized rebuilding to do.

http://www.lowmileageparts.com/2006-...FUwV7AodaEoA5Q

People worry about batteries but engines are usually more.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:43 PM

I recently considered trading in either my '05 or '06 FEH and the trade-in value for both of them came in at around $3000. If that is all these cars are worth, it may be easier to find a good one for sale than putting a new motor in yours.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
I recently considered trading in either my '05 or '06 FEH and the trade-in value for both of them came in at around $3000. If that is all these cars are worth, it may be easier to find a good one for sale than putting a new motor in yours.
Never, I mean never consider trading in a vehicle Ray. Sell it yourself and save thousands. It may take a month, but you are far better off in the long run. I sold my '05, '09 FEH and my '12 Focus for a big profit knowing the loan value (NADA) from my Credit Union. Good Luck!

Gary