Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

The Horror, the absolute horror …

Old 06-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Site Founder

I haven't the time to read this right now. But, knowing your incessantly good writing -- would you like me to make this into an article?

Old 06-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

That was fantastic, Wayne. I read it all.

If I show this to my girlfriend, she will truly think people are nuts here. But I know it's just a sound addiction, and for a good cause too... I thought I was a fuel-efficient driver, but this makes me want to try even harder! I will try slow acceleration, your point about that makes sense.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:53 PM

Wayne I know what you mean, I'm going to have a crummy tank this time around.

My wife (Bless her heart) borrowed my car to "go shopping" with 2 friends earlier this week. Later that afternoon I jumped in for my daily commute, started it up and was shocked :o to see the FCD averaged out to about 34.
Later I asked how did she do that and her reply was "to use as much battery assist as possible. That's what it's for, right?"

Please let me tell you that my wife is one of the smartest persons I've ever known and in some things runs circles around me. (You know better half)
But in this I think some good tip reviews may be helpful! (Or not)
Thanks
PS.
Just had time to digest your paragraph. Thanks, it must have taken some time to post that. Some quetions/comemnts:
The best hyper mileage Insight drivers do not use the WOT
I've found that accelerating too slowly can be as bad as WOT. Example is accelerating 10MPH over 60 seconds lingering in the 35-40MPG range is bad too. I plan to do a series of HCH experiments, one is for best economy 0-60 on a flat country road. Given this situation what do you find best for the Insight?
Std. fuel economy techniques
As you lay out here driving with load is one part- a major part of good technique.
In my case the first 11 miles from home is uphill, big hill after big hill: Imagine a seies of "check marks" end to end resembling a wood saw held at an angle and get the picture.
In this case the best I can do here is gradually accelerate on whatever short flats/downhills are available, NEVER accelerate on a hill and not loose what MPH I've gained until around 45MPH. After the 11 miles if I have 55-57MPG I'm estatic.
Trading off Kinetic for Potential and back again
This is the #1 thing my wife HATES about my driving. Instead of slowing WAY down for a turn if it is all clear I'll usually take it faster. "Ok hold on dear!"
Keeping momentum does save ALOT of fuel though. I'll also switch the key off in my subdivision incline and roll into the driveway.
(Parking)
If you can see a spot that has dual row access and facing the exit lane, shut off the key and coast through the first and into the outward facing parking space.
I thought I was the only one to do this. In my neck of the woods the store is usually at the bottom of an incline so by parking nearer the top, etc.

I'm thinking that some folks who read about all these tips may think "That tip won't save all that much gas" and they will be right just 1 or 2 may not yield much.
But take these tips and COMBINE MOST or ALL of them for outstanding, practical fuel economy. Thanks Wayne.

Old 06-04-2004, 03:59 PM

Wayne,
LOL, I know what you mean. I cringe every time my mom has to drive my car. Its not that she's not an efficient driver, for the normal driver she really is. The problem is that she is a normal driver, she'll accelerate to lights, pass people if they are going the limit, and keep speed up to lights when they are red. Its that 2-4 mpg gap between me and her that scares me (this of course doesnt apply to the highway...there, we're talking about a 10 mpg gap or so). Thanks for the article, i'll use a few more of these tricks for my daily commute. It just changed sense school stopped, so I'm still adjusting to the light patterns.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 06-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wayne,

Great article. I like the tips about turning the engine off in parking lots and using slopes to your advantage. I think driving school should not only teach drivers how to drive safely but also how to drive efficiently.

Great article!

Old 06-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Site Founder

Okay. So all vote for turning this into an article for our Learn section? Okay with you, Mr. Wayne?

Old 06-05-2004, 09:26 AM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Site Founder

Alright. You let me know when.

Search this Thread

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands