15,000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Nut
Question 15,000 mile service

I just dropped my '06 Prius off for its 15,000 mile service. I was quoted a price of $260 and told that the 15K and 30K service is more expensive than the oil change and rotation done at the other services.

They said that because NJ is considered a "heavy driving area", at 15K they always readjust the back brakes ($96), change the cabin air filter ($25), do something to the PCV valve, replace the wiper inserts, lube the doors, check the battery, and top off the fluids.

Does this sound reasonable or am I being jerked around?

Thanks,

Old 02-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: 15,000 mile service

Originally Posted by PriusNut
I just dropped my '06 Prius off for its 15,000 mile service. I was quoted a price of $260 and told that the 15K and 30K service is more expensive than the oil change and rotation done at the other services.

They said that because NJ is considered a "heavy driving area", at 15K they always readjust the back brakes ($96),
My 2004 Prius (78,000 miles) has never had a brake adjust and the rear brakes are fine. You make minimal use of the friction brakes (especially the rears) and the rear brakes have a self adjusting feature. There have also been reports of reduced MPG due to rear brake drag after a manual adjustment. Besides, adjusting drum brakes takes about 5 minutes so $96 is a mite steep.
change the cabin air filter ($25),
You can do this youself for the cost of the filter in 5 minutes, but their price is not unreasonable.[/quote]
do something to the PCV valve, replace the wiper inserts, lube the doors, check the battery, and top off the fluids.
These are quick checks, but the battery is sealed, all you can do is measure the voltage, which can be done with the MFD in maintenance mode.
Does this sound reasonable or am I being jerked around?

Thanks,
Save your money and give them specific directions as to what you want done. If you are actually in harsh conditions, look at the engine air filter as well. If it looks dirty, replace it yourself. Don't forget to check the PSI (I set the PSI at 42/40) after they rotate your tires, they will tend to set the PSI too low (this hurts your tread life and MPG).

JeffD

Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

I found that the 5 k service at my dealer covers most things listed in the 15k service requirements. (and also, the $30 "quick lube" covers most things in the 5k requirements).
For the few items that aren't covered, you have the choice of ignoring them at your own risk (small), doing them yourself, or asking them to add them onto the service.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 PM
World's First Hybrid

And last but not least, how else can the dealerships survive paying their technicians 6 figure salaries? Answer: By you and me paying for their somewhat trumped up and sometimes frivolous "maint" interval costs.

I buy small, highly reliable, non-luxury cars so the maint costs will be low, but now they think they are all running Bentley dealerships by the money they charge per hour and for parts.