5000mi Oil Change, Alignment Check, SSD-40D Update

Old 06-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Site Founder

I'll be going in for my first oil change (5,000) and figured while I was there I'd get my alignment checked after hearing of alignment problems on the new Prius -- mostly from the way they're tied to the truck during delivery. The car is slightly hard to control on the highway -- at least, it swerves a tiny big. I'm not too concerned, but perhaps I should have it checked. Anywho, I called up Toyota Corporate to make sure I don't qualify for the SSD-40D ECU update. Apparently I do. So that's going to take a lot of time at the dealer's, I'll bet. Have any of you had any of these done, and is there any advice you can offer? Thanks.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___When I first picked up the 03 Corolla LE, I had a hard pull to the left above 40 mph. I had the dealership do an alignment, check out the suspension, look at the tires … All I kept getting back was no problem found. I was getting pissed after 2 trips in so I said I want the head tech to go with me for a ride given less then 2 miles were added at each attempted service. I took him out to the nearest highway and let go of the wheel at 55 mph. Each time I would swerve an entire lane over to the left after just 100 - 200 feet! I had him do the same and he said, “Yes, there is something definitely wrong here”. After the test drive, they finally fixed the problem. It was a messed up right front GoodYear Integrity! You have the same tires albeit a bit smaller. I doubt you will find that your Prius has the exact same problem but after the alignment check, if it still wonders a bit, make sure the tires are inspected very closely. Ever since that one tire was replaced at ~ the 400 mile mark, I have not had a problem since and she now has 61,350 miles on those same treads. Rotated every 15,000 of course

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Site Founder

Okay, well I took my car in today. Had some problems.

The first thing they did when I brought my car up to the service station is ask me what model year I had. Now, this is when I said to myself, "There's going to be a problem. They don't know what they're talking about, here." For those of you who don't realize, the second-generation Prius is new. It's a 2004.

Then I tell him I'm there for an oil change, tire rotation, screw tightening, and SSD 40D update. He doesn't know what the SSD 40D update is, but assures me the technician will. Even better.

Knowing I'll be there a while, I walk around the dealership and find a Tideland 04 sitting on the lot with a sticker price of $34,900 excluding all fees. Rediculous, right? I guess I ought to expect that, though. I've heard about dealer markups such as this for #9's. I walk inside the sales department and inquire about the car: what package is it? The salesperson runs outside with me and points to the sticker on the window. It has no options. Zero. Nada. I also notice that it has 2,500 miles on it. Must be a used TRAC car. So we have a used car, almost a year since first production, and they're attempting to sell it for 175% MSRP. [edit] Also noticed they state the color as "grey". They must be well-informed. [/edit]

So I wait for 2 hours and then they come over to inform me that the first thing they decided to do, the ECU update, is having problems. It's going to be, they estimate, 4-5 more hours, so I ought to head on home. But, according to the guy I talked to, they don't give loaners. I love this dealership. [edit] I ended up calling around and finally found a friend who gave me a lift home. [/edit]

So that's where I am now. Hopefully they will finish up tonight and not give my car a lobotomy. For those who know more about these things than I do, there isn't anythign wrong with posting a VIN, is there? I have a picture of the sticker on the car.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Site Founder

They just called and told me the car's ready. It did, in fact, have a small alignment problem. I'll pick it up in an hour or so. Hopefully all is well and I don't have any post-service problems