Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket Radio

I have just bought Prius '05.
I have Alpine CD/MP3 player with Sirius satellite and I-pod adapters in my Mits Eclipse.
I would really like to be able to use all these things in my new Prius.
Does anyone know if it is possible to install a third-party radio in it and what it takes to do it?

Thanks
Dmitry

Old 04-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Radio

One of the major strikes against the Prius that caused me to look elsewhere.

By all accounts, you're pretty much S.O.L. They have an extra-special magic woo-woo Toyota-only radio. You can order an XM adapter over the internet that works with the computer stuff for under $200, though. They even have an installation DVD for it. A web search or two for "Prius XM" should turn it up from multiple vendors.
http://www.priusxm.com/

There are some plug-in adapters that make sound and/or video play in the Prius, but you'll probably still have to mount your MP3 player under the passenger seat and have a wired control brought out to the dashboard somewhere.

You could try tracking down specialty car audio shops in your area and call them up and ask them. I doubt the steering wheel controls and touch screen will work (for the radio) afterwards. Most likely it will cost more than the XM thing to get your existing toys installed and jerry-rigged to operate.

These people have numerous hacks for the Prius, and the number of annoyance-killing hacks was the second major strike against the car.
http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm

Old 04-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

There's a place right under the factory radio into which a standard receiver can fit.
The only thing I need to know is whether there's a wiring harness available to be able to neatly connect speakers/power/antenna to my Alpine receiver. I don't really want to cut any of the factory wires in this babe.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

Well, there's this (preorder) item that does universal audio and video....
http://www.coastaletech.com/viewtech_2005.htm

Here's another brand of adapter for certain Jenson stereos... (the price looks high, but the stereo is bundled with the adapter)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bumpelo/mp3_player.html

Here's the google search that found it, with additional hits
http://www.google.com/search?q=Prius...en-US:official

In general, when you ask a question like this, someone will type a few keywords from your question into google, and that will be the normal quality of answer. You could go to google.com and punch a few queries in for yourself. You'll have to wade through a lot of hits about "Toyotas except Prius", I'm afraid, because Prius adapters are, well, "extra-special".

The problem is (as far as I was able to discern while looking at buying the Prius), you'll need some form of microcontroller to talk to the Prius and get it to accept the signal inputs from your device so it can play through through the Prius audio system (said to be very adequate) that is totally integrated with the chimes and GPS map and whatever else.

An FM modulator would work, if you didn't mind the signal degredation, and (typical) reduction in antenna sensitivity, but I'm afraid you're not going to drive the Prius speakers your own radio's amp without cutting wires and doing brain surgery (that is, unless you don't mind disabling the Prius' multitude of built in noise makers... then it's just cutting speaker wires and splicing them to your radio).

In short, you're probably not going to find something less expensive than a whole new car radio that will do the job right.

Last edited by lessevildave; 04-18-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Prius <3r
Question Re: Aftermarket Radio

okay, I asked this in another thread, but no one answered there so I think it may apply more in this case though, I was told at the dealership that trying to install a new stereo would void my warranty, has anyone here heard that? I'd rather not void my warranty if that's the case, but I would like to change out the speakers if that's allowed, can anyone answer either of those two queries?

Old 04-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

I went to http://techinfo.toyota.com and I've downloaded the repair manual and wiring diagrams for '05 Prius and what I've found out is that the Prius'es radio uses the standard Toyota Audio connectors (year '87 and up). It uses additional connectors for connecting with the display control and with the controls on the wheel, but these connectors are separate.

So it looks like there should be no problem hooking up my Alpine unit to it.

I'm going to install it this weekend and I'll let you guys know how it went.

Regards
Dmitry

Old 04-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I heard somewhere that the JBL 9 speaker stereo uses a seperate amplifier, I wonder if this could be exploited somehow for installing an aftermarket stereo?

The first thing that will probably happen is the installation of a subwoofer (and amp) in the 2k5 Prius my friend is getting.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:19 AM
Green Team Republican

Good luck w/Alpine install and please let me know how it worked out!

According to the Sales consultant with whom I have reserved my prius at least (on wait list), a custom audio wouldn't negate a warranty - but i'll have to confirm that now, def.

I'm planning to go with a professionally installed audio package of: Sony deck mated to XM receiver, front components, rear door 2-ways, 4x50w Memphis amp and 10" sub. It will be a big hit (quoted at just under 2g, complete), but I want a high quality sound and nothing less and if anything should increase the value of the car too if/when I trade in..

Plz let me know how your Alpine is working out! cheers.

Old 04-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Prius <3r

You want high quality, but you're going to buy a Sony deck? It's like saying I want a great apple pie, but you go buy one of those fried deals from McDonalds. I used to work the audio department at Circuit City, I'd say go with something else that's not Sony, unless you've really got your heart set on it. I had Pioneer DEHP-8000R in my Camry, it retailed for $650, it was great and did so much more than any Sony could, but even then I knew it wasn't high end compared to other brands. Alpine and Clarion would be better bets, but some of those have problems with burn in on their displays, so you need to do your research. Sony makes a garbage cd player, just so you know, expect skipping like kids at a pond with a handful of rocks. Just my ex-professional opinion, you can ask others, but I'd never go Sony in my car...ever.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Green Team Republican

Hey RTI, thanks much for that feedback - seriously..

Yeah, I confess it was only my research based on my budget goals for the deck and the on-paper specs of interest such as: 3 set Preamp outs; 4 volt; RMS Power; FM sensitivity of 9dBf (does this matter?); CD Signal to Noise Ratio of 120 dB (noticeable difference compared to say, 105 dB?) and low Amp THD.

Please give me any specific suggestions if you wish tho, in a sub-$300 target given the specs desired, but I'll say also, I plan to play my XM radio about 80% of use and CD/MP3 20% max.

I did look at Clarion, Pioneer, Kenwood decks in this range, but either the volts or preamp or sensitivity or Signal to noise ratio wasn't looking as good on paper at least. So please correct me on my specs wanted if you have the time! thanks..

And another question off topic: could you give me advice on how I can post here without having to constantly re-log on every 2 minutes or after every page click?? I'm new here but lost my post twice already apparently b/c i had to re-log in after I logged in? sheeesh. Thnks again'

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands