Considering a Prius, several questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Considering a Prius, several questions

Hi there,

I'm strongly considering getting a new Prius as a replacement for a VW Passat. I am looking at lots of cars and love the Prius' fuel economy and low emissions. Not to mention it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a BMW or Lexus. A few quick questions for you:

1) Does it have enough power to pass on the freeway? I'm sort of concerned, having driven several cars with substantial power over the years.

2) I live in Southern California. Do any of you know of good dealerships in the area?

3) Should I have to pay a premium above MSRP for a Prius? Should I need to go on a waiting list? I am looking to get Black with the nav system and all options.

4) What phones will work with the Bluetooth feature?

5) Anything else I should know?

Thanks so much.

Mike from LA

Old 08-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Considering a Prius, several questions

My experience is that it has ample power to pass on the freeway around here, but the limits here are 110km/h, but even so it's designed to have enough spare power to speed up easily by using the electric motor and gas engine together for bursts of acceleration.

However... you won't get good mileage driving like that, nor will you get good mileage driving like that in any other car, but you'll find that out pretty quick from the consumption screen.

You may need to wait in order to get a Prius, so better put your name on the list sooner, rather than later. Most get theirs at MSRP, Toyota has a reasonably good hold on their dealerships and can keep them from tacking on premiums for the most part.

Old 08-19-2005, 03:15 AM
Enthusiast

Going 80-90mph, a trip last week from LA to LV averaged 40mpg. Bluetooth works well with my Nokia. Be sure to buy a Clean Air Vehicle Sticker at the DMV!

Old 08-19-2005, 04:33 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Mike,

I just purchased my Prius this week. I was a long-term Subaru Outback guy (almost 10 years) and it was difficult dumping the brand, but at only 22 mpg it was time... In a word the Prius is AWESOME! I love it... In response to your questions:

1) I think it does - however, remember I drove an Outback which isn't the fastest thing on the road. If you do get a Prius and want to enjoy the highest mileage possible you won't really want to drive it like a sports car. You'll get the best mileage by just going with the flow...

2) Sorry, I'm in Atlanta - can't help ya

3) I paid MSRP without getting on a waiting list. My dealer did tell me that premiums of $500 to $1500 are being charged. If you want a specific package and color than I suspect a waiting list will be the only way you can do it.

4) Not sure...

5) Not really - just read and research all you can. IMHO the Prius is the best one out there when you look at price, mpg, and size. It is a roomy car and the reliability seems to be superior. BUT remember you won't want to drive it like a sports car - if you do you'll be very upset that you're not getting 45 -50 mpg!

Old 08-19-2005, 04:41 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

You may want to consider the 06 HCH, also, especially if there are long waits or if you have to pay a premium for the Prius.
Also, my HCH gets 62 and better on the highway, has enough power to pass, and is a wonderfully terrific car.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

I bought my Prius in April this year. I waited about 2 months for it and paid sticker (no premium). However, I was able to negotiate more on my trade in to make it a better deal.

As for passing power. It is really good once the car is up and running, especially on the highway. I traded in a 265 hp Maxima (pretty fast), and I have had no problem adjusting to the Prius. I live in the Atlanta area, so there are many times when you need to dart out quickly in traffic.

Brooke

Old 08-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast

I can only address your first question - yes it has plenty of power. I have a used '02 that I bought about 3 months ago and am very happy with it -- and the new ones have more power. My other car is a BMW 7 series, so I am used to powerful cars. It does not compare in pickup to the 7, but it is really quite good. The electric engine actually provides more low end torque than you get from almost any gas engine. I think you will like the car

Old 08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Considering a Prius, several questions

Originally Posted by MikefromLA
1) Does it have enough power to pass on the freeway? I'm sort of concerned, having driven several cars with substantial power over the years.
It definitely has enough power to pass should you need it. It doesn't compare to the BMW 3-Series I'm coming from, but it's better than my fiancee's '99 Honda Civic EX.

2) I live in Southern California. Do any of you know of good dealerships in the area?
We can't sing the praises of Ventura Toyota enough. They bent over backwards to get us a deal on both a Highlander Hybrid and a Prius together. There was no markup on their vehicles (they said they don't believe in it on principle), while Thousand Oaks Toyota (where we live), had a minimum $3k markup on the Prius alone. Oxnard and Simi Valley Toyotas had similar markups. Also, we ended up paying *under* sticker! $1k less on Kristina's Highlander, and $500 less on my Black Prius Package #6. The icing on the cake was 50% off a 6-year 100k extended warranty.

Some of that was because we were buying two vehicles at the same time, of course, but my point is that they seem like they'll do their best to get your business. Octavio and Marion were awesome for us, and most patient.

3) Should I have to pay a premium above MSRP for a Prius? Should I need to go on a waiting list? I am looking to get Black with the nav system and all options.
As I said above, mine is Black with Package #6 (the nav and all options), and I paid $500 under sticker. This late in the 2005 game, however, I'd wait for an '06 if I were doing it again. More options will be available, though the price could end up being higher. However, that might mean better deals on '05s if you can still find any that fit your needs.

My Nextel doesn't have Bluetooth, but Kristina's (KPez019 on this Forum) Blackberry works well, and the sound quality is surprisingly good!

I routinely got 30 mpg or above on my Black 2000 BMW 328ci, so if you're interested in that, send me a PM.

Rick

Old 08-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

1. Plenty of power for the highway pass. It's not going to to win any races, but I don't shudder to drive mine on a two-lane road.

2. can't help you.

3. No. Actually, if you shop around you can find dealerships with vehicles in stock. I bought mine a couple of weeks back and waited a week for the blue w/ option #6, but my dealer had a couple of units in stock when I visited them.

4. If you visit the toyota site, they have a list of tested phones that work. My blackberry 7520 works great and I've tested a blackberry 7250 and it works fine as well.

5. Yes. There's a couple of current articles that are saying that $4/gallon is a conservative estimate for the cost of gas on 1/1/07. Using that cost in the savings estimate calcs that pleny of folks have out there, it's not tough at all to justify the expense of a new prius.

Also, you'll need to be more carefull in parking lots with a prius. I've almost run a few people over since getting mine. Folks "look both ways" with their ears more than you'd think.

Old 08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikefromLA
Hi there,

I'm strongly considering getting a new Prius as a replacement for a VW Passat. I am looking at lots of cars and love the Prius' fuel economy and low emissions. Not to mention it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a BMW or Lexus. A few quick questions for you:

Thanks so much.

Mike from LA
I don't think my 10 cents will add much, but I have some strong feelings about some of the questions you have.

1. Plenty of pickup when attempting a pass. You benefit from not have gear ratios to deal with. i.e. no passing gear, just instant torque from MG2. So you feel acceleration much faster than you would if you punched it and then had to wait for the momentary delay until an auto tranny chose a lower gear. I believe that Toyota calls it Torque on Demand, or at least that is probably the best way to describe it if it isn't an official Toyota moniker.

It is not a 3-series or Lexus. It is not a V-8, but it feels so much better than your average 4-cylinder.

2. Sorry can't help you there.

3. You should never have to pay a premium, and if you play your cards right and find a dealer with lot stock, you might be able to get some money off the MSRP. You should not have to go on a waiting list, again find a dealer with lot stock and then tell them what you want. If they don't have it, they have the lot stock to trade for it. Black with package 6 (nav with all options) should be pretty easy to have. I highly recommend the gray interior. I've seen black with beige interior and It just doesn't look right, but that is a personal thing.

4. I have a package 5, no nav, no Bluetooth, but most of what you will be getting, can't help you there.

5. This car is a very different driving experience. Smooth acceleration. I highly recommend a test drive before you commit, unless you know this is for you. If you have come from the world of European horsepower you may not e so happy. If not, you probably won't notice a difference between this and your typical mid-sized sedan.

Quick Reply: Considering a Prius, several questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands