dog barrier for prius?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:01 AM
fledgling
Default dog barrier for prius?

OK, we're just about sold on a new Prius. But we have an older 60-lb Chow dog and we'd like to know what options there are to keep him out of the font seats and away from the precious dash displays and buttons.

Are there any ready-made hard or soft barriers that are known to work with the Prius? We plan to put one or both rear seats down. It's the gap between the front seats (and the rather insubstantial console) that needs to be blocked. We know from experience with our Grand Cherokee that the dog will walk on the console to get into the front seats if we leave him alone in the car.

BTW the dealer let us fit-test the dog in the back. He was fine with his new ride!

Old 04-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: dog barrier for prius?

In the past, I've wrapped the leash around the rear seat head rest. For the hatchback, I understand there are grocery posts. As for a barrier, perhaps a piece of cardboard that normally rids in the pouch behind the passenger seat and then folds out and slides into the two seat pouches to form a barrier.

When I'm in the car, our dog knows that if I put her in the back seat, she can put her front paws on the console but not go into the front seats. Sometimes I'll have a computer on the passenger seat recording data and I don't want the dog stepping on the keys.

Bob Wilson

ps. Don't worry about the 'dealer tank.' They always seem to perform poorly.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mpg50
OK, we're just about sold on a new Prius. But we have an older 60-lb Chow dog and we'd like to know what options there are to keep him out of the font seats and away from the precious dash displays and buttons.

Are there any ready-made hard or soft barriers that are known to work with the Prius? We plan to put one or both rear seats down. It's the gap between the front seats (and the rather insubstantial console) that needs to be blocked. We know from experience with our Grand Cherokee that the dog will walk on the console to get into the front seats if we leave him alone in the car.

BTW the dealer let us fit-test the dog in the back. He was fine with his new ride!
This is not the dog barrier you had in mind, but could not resist.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 AM
fledgling

"This is not the dog barrier you had in mind ..."

Actually, that's more the reason we need the barrier. Dog saw cat sitting of hood of my old VW Rabbit and destroyed the dashboard trying to get to it.

In truth, no barrier would have worked in that situation, but most barriers would be adequate to keep him from the front seat when he starts getting restless.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Banned

Yep - all bets are off in those situations.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Toyota should have them. They are at Wall Mart and places like that

Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 PM
fledgling

Have come up with a successful solution from PetSmart.

After putting down the back seats, have laid down a gray, waterproofed SUV-bed dog tarp from PetSmart. Has velcro which sticks to the non-plastic areas of the back and keeps it in place.

Then set up a Kennel-Aire Vehicle Safety Barrier, also from PetSmart. The barrier has four gridded pieces that are bolted together. We only used the middle two pieces, because the Prius is narrower than an SUV.

The front seats just back into the barrier when pushed all the way back. The barrier has two adjustable "legs" that go down the floor of the backseat area. By tensioning these legs the contraption presses into the ceiling and stays put. Obviously the front seats also keep it from ever getting dislodged as well.