Get your Prius Solar Roof Panel ordered !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Get your Prius Solar Roof Panel ordered !!!

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/12/07/162738.html

Hey Prius guys/gals, be the first on your block to get a 10% MPG boost for only $2195.00 !!

New Solar Panels for Hybrid Cars Improve MPG

WELLS, Nev., Dec. 7, 2005 -- Solatec LLC(TM) is pleased to introduce flexible, rooftop-mounted Solar Panels for Hybrid Vehicles, starting with a kit for the 2004-2006 Toyota Prius. The $2,195 kits will be available nationwide through dealer franchises.

A prototype has been operating in the Northeast for several months under mixed driving conditions. With Solatec panels installed on the roof, the prototype SolaPrius(R) averages 55 MPG city and 62 MPG highway - an overall 10 percent improvement over the pre-installation numbers.* All-season testing is in progress.

Solatec's photovoltaic kit (patents applied for) adds two flexible, conformal panels that charge the hybrid automobile's auxiliary battery through a proprietary charger/current-limiter system concealed behind interior trim panels. The self-adhesive, rooftop-mounted panels are only 0.6mm thick and cause no change in aerodynamic drag.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Get your Prius Solar Roof Panel ordered !!!

This kit develops 30 watts, that's about 0.04 horsepower (when the sun shines). Since we use several horsepower on average while driving, I don't think this kit would provide much help. Maybe the reason for their good MPG numbers is they are in Nevada (desert, flat) and they are going slow. For 30 watts to make a 10% difference would mean that we, on average only use 0.4 horsepower (that would run a bike at 20 MPH on the flat).

JeffD

Last edited by jdenenberg; 12-07-2005 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling -- oops
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 AM

Actually, the car they reported mileage gain on is in "the Northeast".

Regardless, talk about a LONG payback time for the solar investment!!! Maybe 20 years?

Old 12-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

The mileage they are getting says nothing because there are people here that can do it and they don't have the solar panels. Not worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Banned

Another plug: Used on Mars Pathfinder

Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Actually, the car they reported mileage gain on is in "the Northeast".
The pictured car has New Jersey plates.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
This kit develops 30 watts, that's about 0.04 horsepower (when the sun shines). Since we use several horsepower on average while driving, I don't think this kit would provide much help. Maybe the reason for their good MPG numbers is they are in Nevada (desert, flat) and they are going slow. For 30 watts to make a 10% difference would mean that we, on average only use 0.4 horsepower (that would run a bike at 20 MPH on the flat).
I think the idea is that it charges up your battery some while the vehicle is sitting (presumably, the whole day, in the sun while you're at work or whatever). Then your vehicle's engine doesn't have to run itself as much to charge the battery up (at the times when it does that). I don't think the idea is to try to provide direct (while your driving) power to the battery.

Its a neat (not financially sound) idea, definately for people who aren't limited by funding and have their Prius as much for a hobby as for transportation.

I think there are enough people who've bought Prius's (for more than cost effectiveness) who could afford this and might indulge themselves. Maybe the company can carve out a market. I hope they do.

Scott

Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 AM
World's First Hybrid

This may not be a bad idea when coupled with an engine block heater. During those nice sunny winter days, while you work, you could run a small block heater off the solar panel and at least get some pre-heat before going home for day. I don't think you would need any power inverter, probably just connect the block heater directly to the panel but be sure you don't exceed the rated power.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:43 AM

panels that charge the hybrid automobile's auxiliary battery through a proprietary charger/current-limiter system
Do they mean it charges the 12v battery (auxiliary/accessory) or the main battery (traction/HV)? If it's hooked up to the 12v battery there's nothing Prius specific about it, really the same thing could be applied to any car, it reduces the amount of power the engine has to generate for 12v stuff. At only 30 watts that makes some sense.

You can buy 15 watt panels for less than $150 and you should be able to fit at least 3 on the roof of a Prius. I think the Prius I that had solar panels at least has a few hundred watts of peak power to charge the main battery. This sounds like a much inferior setup for a huge amount of moolah.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

States right in the artical that it's for the auxiliary battery. Block heater idea makes more sense.

Quick Reply: Get your Prius Solar Roof Panel ordered !!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands