How does a used Prius I hold up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default How does a used Prius I hold up?

Hey everyone. Although I understand the concept I'm new to hybrids, so don't mind any ignorance on the subject.
I was wondering how well a used Prius 1 will hold up. Yes every vehicle is different depending on the driver and where it's located, but generally are there any defects or flaws that I should worry about? How's the mileage compared to the Prius 2? I can't afford a new Prius just yet, so hopefully I can get my hands on a Prius 1.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: How does a used Prius I hold up?

Welcome!
Originally Posted by Panny
Hey everyone. Although I understand the concept I'm new to hybrids, so don't mind any ignorance on the subject.
There are many fine hybrids including the Prius. As a gentle suggestion, you might post this in the "General" or "Introduction" area. Folks here are pretty respectful of each others choices (aka., the right tool for the right job.)

Originally Posted by Panny
I was wondering how well a used Prius 1 will hold up. Yes every vehicle is different depending on the driver and where it's located, but generally are there any defects or flaws that I should worry about? How's the mileage compared to the Prius 2? I can't afford a new Prius just yet, so hopefully I can get my hands on a Prius 1.
My first and current Prius is the 'Prius 1' or more accurately, NHW11 model. If you click on my signature block, you can see the history.

Now I'm into doing my own maintenance and I bought mine so I could do my own work without worry about warranty. So I'll offer these suggestions:
  • the last model year is best - the 2003 will have the modifications that were needed for the 2001-2002 models. This is a general rule of thumb for any car and the Prius is the same.
  • 12VDC battery lasts about 4-5 years - the Toyota replacement is pricey but we are investigating cheaper replacements. This is not the traction battery of which there have been very few replacements.
  • transaxle oil replacement - should follow a 15,000-30,000 mile replacement cycle based upon oil testing results. It is vital that the first transaxle oil change include dropping the pan and wiping out the gunk. It also depends upon whether it comes from a 'dusty' agricultural area or not.
  • fuel efficiency - better than a 1,500 cc, Toyota equivalent, not as good as the 1,500 cc, model NHW20 (current model.) Still, there are several techniques that can significantly improve performance and I'm pretty happy with 51.9 MPG.
  • prices are becoming reasonable - due to lower gas prices, they are becoming more reasonable. Be sure to use the Blue Book value as the highest possible price and negotiate lower. If gas prices shoot up, you might see significantly improved, resale prices in the future.
All in all, I've been happy with my NHW11 and continue to investigate ways to make it more efficient. But then, I'm using it as my hobby too.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How does a used Prius I hold up?

I have a high opinion of the 2001-2003 Prius as a used vehicle choice, assuming we can confirm that the particular vehicle has never been subjected to abuse. I am not so skillful a driver as Bob, so can only claim 46 mpg lifetime, excluding driving done with a roof rack on.

Only the 2001 had problems with the accelerator pedal sensors. Only 01 and 02 had problems with the steering torque sensors. All 3 model years may need a new Engine Control Module, in response to a specific stalling issue. Side air bags were an available option 02 and newer, and are a sensible choice for side-impact safety. I don't miss not having the GPS navigation, but others find them very useful. Aside from those matters, I believe there were very few incremental improvements from 01 to 03.

With appropriate maintenance, the vast majority of these vehicles will last until gasoline is too expensive to buy, IMHO. Thus I would shop more on maint history and price than on the odometer reading.

Panny, if you locate a candidate vehicle, let us know where it is. Possibly someone would be able to help you assess it.

DAS

Old 02-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How does a used Prius I hold up?

Thanks for the responses. I'm still looking around, but hopefully I can ****** one for around $12,000-$14,000. Most of the 03's are still 16+ unless they're over 60,000 miles. So, I might have to go with an 02. I'll see what I can come up with and let you guys know.

Last edited by Panny; 02-08-2007 at 07:18 AM.