Leaving the car on

Old 10-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Nut
Default Leaving the car on

Yesterday, I left my '06 Prius on while going into the house for a few minutes. The fob was in my pocket.

When I came back 10 minutes the later, the engine was running at what sounded like a very high rpm. For the first few minutes I drove, I smelled that nasty burnt electronic smell, but it went away.

Does anyone know why the engine would be "racing" like that, just from being left on?

Any idea what the smell might be from and did it do any permanent damage?

Is leaving the vehicle on a bad idea?

Old 10-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Leaving the car on

Originally Posted by PriusNut
Is leaving the vehicle on a bad idea?
Well other than burning fuel you didn't intend on burning, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you pressed the park button so the car doesn't take off on you. Not sure what was burning. Did you look under the hood to see?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Leaving the car on

Well, we did leave it on P about 8-10 mins, listened to the radio while waiting for my hubby. The engine running on high RPM ( I thought --recharging battery) for few minutes but no buring smell. ??? Same question.. is that okay to do so ? What cause the engine running high rpm or it's a battery charging.