MOA?T - Going to buy a new Prius

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Enthusiast
Question MOA?T - Going to buy a new Prius

Mother of all Question Threads

Hi, I'm planning on buying a new Prius, but I want to make sure it can be as cool as it can be and I don't make any poor purchasing decisions. I had a lot of questions and I've done a lot of google research, but there are still some big question marks that need experts on the subject to solve. But you guys will have to do Answer as many as you can, any and all help is appreciated.

1. Can you purchase a Toyota Prius in Hawaii with the GPS navigation mod? - I have asked every dealer on the island and they say that it just isn't supported, and that they can sell me a Prius with "Package 6" however the bluetooth/GPS mod will not be available.

<
  2. Is it possible to purchase a Toyota on the Mainland, and have it shipped to Hawaii for a reasonable cost/delay with the options I want? - I've heard that there are some dealers that will ship cars for a fee, but I've also heard that there can be lots of hangups and headaches associated with licensing/insuring/etc. Has anyone had any luck with this process?<
  3. What is the Part Number and who is the manufacturer for the LCD/TouchScreen in the Prius? - I'm an electrical engineer and I'd like to hook a VGA and/or USB control adapter to the Prius, for use with a Keyboard Video Mouse switcher and a computer (Mac Mini). However I'd need to see schematics to determine what sort of technology is used and whether or not it is even possible.<
  4. Does the ViewTech product, or ViasTech Composite Video adapter product work with a prius that doesn't have the fancy (GPS/Bluetooth) options package? - This would be a major let down for me if I relent and buy an optionless Prius<
  5. Does anyone know the exact specifications for the in dash LCD? (What Resolution, what mode it runs in composite or VGA) and it's dimentions? - I know I ask some tough questions, but I assure you the information will not be wasted <
I'll be keeping a close eye on this, but please help put my mind at ease, I'm sure you were all nervous expecting prius owners to be at one point and I want my experience to be one of radical bliss. BTW, here is a image from the brochure that I was given in Hawaii about the new prius' available option packages. I was told by all the dealers on the island that Option Pack #6 is available but doesn't include the GPS/Bluetooth option.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MOA?T - Going to buy a new Prius

Originally Posted by Orion
Is it possible to purchase a Toyota on the Mainland, and have it shipped to Hawaii for a reasonable cost/delay with the options I want? - I've heard that there are some dealers that will ship cars for a fee, but I've also heard that there can be lots of hangups and headaches associated with licensing/insuring/etc. Has anyone had any luck with this process?
Someone here had a Civic Hybrid shipped from California to Hawaii for $2000 (if I remember correctly) so it seems possible.
What is the Part Number and who is the manufacturer for the LCD/TouchScreen in the Prius? - I'm an electrical engineer and I'd like to hook a VGA and/or USB control adapter to the Prius, for use with a Keyboard Video Mouse switcher and a computer (Mac Mini). However I'd need to see schematics to determine what sort of technology is used and whether or not it is even possible.
The interface between all devices is the over the CAN (controller area network) bus, including touch screen input. Interfacing with the CAN will also allow you to monitor everything your Prius does, should you be so inclined to write software for that.

see http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/CAN/cindex.html
Does the ViewTech product, or ViasTech Composite Video adapter product work with a prius that doesn't have the fancy (GPS/Bluetooth) options package? - This would be a major let down for me if I relent and buy an optionless Prius
As far as I know these products will work without the navigation system. The nav system is just an add-on (but highly integrated) product that sits under the driver's seat, but it's not what those products are interfacing with. Other cars have optional navigation systems that include the screen, but with the Prius the screen (and the possibility to interface with it) are part of the basic car.

I've heard that the Bluetooth functionality is pretty minimal, but I have no experience with it, so I really can't say if it's worth it.

The JBL 9 speaker sound system is pretty good for a stock system, although I haven't compared it to the basic sound system.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast

i don't know if this is any help but here is the address of coastaltech who has some aftermarket a/v interface kits

http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm

Old 08-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast

Why not try to get it shipped from Japan -sort of does not make sense to ship from Japan to California just to ship it back west to Hawaii. You should not have any problems registering a shipped car as it should be no different than registering a car bought in one stated but titled in another. Most states will issue a 10 day (or there abouts) temporary in-transit tag and you would not pay any sales tax in that state either - just in your final location where you register the car. Don't know about any of the technical questions.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: MOA?T - Going to buy a new Prius

Having lived in Hawaii, I just have to ask. Do you get lost easily? Living on the Island, a GPS is last thing I would need or want to waste money on. I can understand the Bluetooth and other options but GPS? Do a Google sear on Mac-Prius or Mac- Mini Prius and you will find what you are looking for. By the way, the GPS Nav system is a $5000-$6000 option. That's a lot to pay in itself but to pay that for living on an Island where you would seldom use it if at all. A Garman can be had for $300-400 and is portable. By the way, the GPS is DVD based.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's very difficult on 2006 and later Prius to interface with the MFD screen. As far as I know, none of the aftermarket products work with it. It's a rarely used video standard. This is discussed over on Priuschat in the technical section where they wanted the "Canview" to show on the screen, like it does on the earlier models. I don't believe they were successful, though I think they identified the interface name.

If you really want GPS, the least expensive and most flexible way to get it is to buy an aftermarket unit.