Prius Mods

Old 02-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Prius Mods

I spoke with the dealer I purchased my car from regarding mods to the prius.

They advised me that if I had made any mods to the engine or the eletrical sys that would void the warrenties on the car.

Just thought I would pass this on..

Old 02-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Prius Mods

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
I spoke with the dealer I purchased my car from regarding mods to the prius.

They advised me that if I had made any mods to the engine or the eletrical sys that would void the warrenties on the car.
One of the advantages of owning a used car, especially one past the 3 year, 36,000 miles is user modifications have no impact on the warrante. Combine that with a car having an unusually rhobust mechanical system and it is a win-win situation.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-23-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Default Re: Prius Mods

Bob~

This is very true, I to would mod my vehicle if the warr was expired..

I just thought I would pass this info on to others who still have a warr. on thier vehicle
and what to possibly expect, if they take the car in to have any type of warr service..

Im not sure but wouldnt the computer read the mod?

Old 02-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

what mods are you talking about???

Old 02-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Prius Mods

Originally Posted by plusaf
what mods are you talking about???
The first was a 1 KW inverter for emergency house power. The next was replacement of the transaxle fluid with a synthetic. The third was an air shield. Although not really a modification, I've added my own instrumentation.

I am now working on an automatic 'pulse and glide' unit.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-24-2006, 09:22 AM

Example:1
Toyota warns that use of the EV button could reduce fuel efficiency. Also, extreme swings in
SOC of NiMH batteries can cause damage or shorten the usable life of the battery. The system is
programmed to avoid over-charging or deep discharging, but some risk to the battery may exist. If you
have a problem with your battery or Hybrid system or ECU and you have performed this modification, it
may void your warranty and you could be responsible for thousands of dollars for repairs even if it can't be shown that the EV button was the cause of the damage. Consider this very carefully before you perform
this or any modification..

Example:2
A California non-profit company has designed a conversion kit specifically for the wildly popular hybrid that would improve on the car’s “green” engine by making it into a part-time plug-in. The kit’s extra batteries plug into an electrical outlet and hold a charge that powers the car entirely on electricity 20-60 miles, after which its hybrid gasoline-electric engine kicks in so you’re not stuck on the roadside. The company says it’s great for the lower-speed, short commutes that comprise the majority of our automobile use. Less gas consumption, fewer emissions, a cleaner environment.

The Catch: The kit is not a Toyota product, and the auto manufacturer says that owners who install it void the car’s warranty, discouraging many Prius owners from trying the kit.

In laymans terms, if you make or add non toyota parts that change or modify the operation of the gas engine or electrical drive system and something breaks or changes. Weather directly or indirectly after the modification has been made or in the process of instaling the modification. Will void the vehicle warranty, which may leave the owner of a new prius paying the cost of the repair.

I'll wait till the warranty runs out before doing any mods to be safe..

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 02-24-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
Toyota warns that use of the EV button could reduce fuel efficiency. Also, extreme swings in
SOC of NiMH batteries can cause damage or shorten the usable life of the battery. The system is
programmed to avoid over-charging or deep discharging, but some risk to the battery may exist. If you
have a problem with your battery or Hybrid system or ECU and you have performed this modification, it
may void your warranty and you could be responsible for thousands of dollars for repairs even if it can't be
shown that the EV button was the cause of the damage. Consider this very carefully before you perform
this modification
<3 copies snipped...>
Toyota’s hybrid car, Prius, can get 40 miles to the gallon. How about 100 mph? Shocking, and rightfully so. This dream car would get its boost from electric batteries.

A California non-profit company has designed a conversion kit specifically for the wildly popular hybrid that would improve on the car’s “green” engine by making it into a part-time plug-in. The kit’s extra batteries plug into an electrical outlet and hold a charge that powers the car entirely on electricity 20-60 miles, after which its hybrid gasoline-electric engine kicks in so you’re not stuck on the roadside. The company says it’s great for the lower-speed, short commutes that comprise the majority of our automobile use. Less gas consumption, fewer emissions, a cleaner environment.

The hitch: The kit is not a Toyota product, and the auto manufacturer says that owners who install it void the car’s warranty, discouraging many Prius owners from trying the kit. Ira’s guest is not out to take business away from the auto companies; in fact, he hopes to persuade them to work together with his company to incorporate the technology into a product that would be beneficial and affordable.
that was a little Over-Active Enthusiast, J.W., wasn't it? or were your duplicates in reply to each of several points? ..

yeah, hitches may be dangerous to the Prius' health... if so, then putting four 300-pound people into the car and driving uphill should void the warranty, too...

Last edited by plusaf; 02-24-2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: humor...
Old 02-24-2006, 10:04 AM

Oh thanks plusaf, I tried to edit that but you where too quick on the draw for me

The server did not take the first posting so I tried a cpl of time and that is why it multiplied.. I edited the posting and reposted it...

Im not sure on instaling the hitch, or a K & N air breather kit or adding synthetic oils. But any EV modification, computer modification or engine modification will void the vehicles warranty. As found on the net or explained by the dealer service dept.

I just thought if it where me and I was going to modify my new car and I still had all the warranties & that the modification could /would VOID the warranty.
I would want to know that before hand.... So I'm throwing it out there....

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 02-24-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Engineering first

Posted ONLY for the entertainment value:

Ebay item: 8005115446

The claim is you can get a 7-22 HP boost just by 'fooling' the IAT. They also show an engine performance chart that goes out to 6,000 rpm (Prius are limited to 4-4,500 rpm). I remain extremely skeptical, more amused than anything else.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Or you could spend a few cents on a resistor. Or if you wanted the same adjustability, a couple of bucks for a potentiometer would do the trick.

Freeware is available that lets you see how a honda ECM works. For certain models you can look at the fuel and ignition tables as well as IAT and ECT compensation levels. On a 75F day, fooling the ECU into thinking that the AIT is 0F will result in 21% more fuel to be delivered. That could possibly produce more power.

The same goes for ECT. When the coolant temp is 170F, fooling the ECU into thinking that the ECT is 0F will result in 75% more fuel to be delivered under full throttle conditions. That could also possibly produce more power.

Now if you want to deliver less fuel, on a 75F day, making the ECU think that the AIT is 150F or higher will result in a 6% decrease in fuel delivery.

This info is from my 93 Del Sol ECU programming. I have no idea how the Prius is programmed but one would think that there would be some similarities.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prius Mods

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands