Shipping Prius to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Shipping Prius to Hawaii

Has anybody done this (or any oceanic shipping)? We are moving this summer and plan on shipping our car from San Francisco to our new home in Kauai. We are still looking at different shippers but leaning toward Horizon (shipmyvehicle.com).

All of the shippers say that vehicle security systems "must be turned off". Is there a way to turn off the security system in the Prius (mine is an '06)? Do you have to get the dealer to do that? Or do they just mean an after-market-type security system?

I asked a vehicle shipper this, by email, but got no response, so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who might know.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Shipping Prius to Hawaii

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
Has anybody done this (or any oceanic shipping)? We are moving this summer and plan on shipping our car from San Francisco to our new home in Kauai. We are still looking at different shippers but leaning toward Horizon (shipmyvehicle.com).

All of the shippers say that vehicle security systems "must be turned off". Is there a way to turn off the security system in the Prius (mine is an '06)? Do you have to get the dealer to do that? Or do they just mean an after-market-type security system?

I asked a vehicle shipper this, by email, but got no response, so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who might know.
Ask the shipper if the 12 VDC battery can be disconnected during the trip. But by now, they've probably had a few Prius, they didn't have anything specific?

BTW, nice move! Permanent?

Bob Wilson

Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Shipping Prius to Hawaii

I just shipped a 2007 Camry Hybrid from Chicago to Hawaii using Matson for oceanic travel. When my car arrived the hybrid battery was dead. The value of my car before I left was $11,600. The cost to replace my hybrid battery is $5,600. I paid $1,800 to ship a car now worth half its value.

And oh…BTW…..the older Toyota navigation systems cannot be upgraded and they the navigation system does not work in Hawaii!!!!!! I stare at a gigantic picture of a compass now on the navigation screen. VERY disappointed!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Shipping Prius to Hawaii

How long did the transit take? How many miles on your Prius? Did you try having the traction battery charged at a dealer?

Do you realize that the battery is warranted for 8 years and 100,000 miles and if it was bought in a CARB state, 10 years and 150,000 miles?

Replacement Prius batteries can be had for around $2,500 or so and the installation cost is under $500 IF you are out of warranty.