Uphill

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Enthusiast

I've had my prius for a week now and like i always say i love it! But my main concern, those 4 months waiting for it, was it's ability to go uphill. We live up a steep hill. Going forward up the hill, no problem. But today, as i was going up the hill, I had to pull into a driveway to let an oncoming suv pass. I was up on the next driveway so i decided to backout and up the hill into it, also i was curious how the car will do. Never made it. I was floored but just wouldn't budge. I was able to back out into the street did not even move once i was there. So i had to pull back into the neighbor's driveway, back out downhill then drove the rest of the way forward. I've always parked going backwards (from going up and past driveway then backing down into it to park).

My reaction? Well, i wasnt surprised because of all the posts i've read. Nothing we can do about it. Just have to adapt and make changes. I just hope a situation when i'll have to back uphill doesnt come.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Site Founder

The Prius does not use the engine at all when moving in reverse, so 100% of the power must come from the motor. Naturally, it may be hard to generate enough force. There's no fix -- sorry!

Old 02-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Feb 24th 2004 @ 3:00 PM
The Prius does not use the engine at all when moving in reverse, so 100% of the power must come from the motor. Naturally, it may be hard to generate enough force. There's no fix -- sorry!
Not ONLY does it not use the ICE while backing, but IF the engine IS running, for other reasons, all that power is basically "robbed" from the drivetrain's ability to back up reasonably.

So far, I haven't had any issues, but I understand they can happen. The worse case I have yet heard is for folks in San Francisco where the garage is below grade. Apparently it is quite common to have a VERY steep driveway into the garage - steep and short.

I hope they can back in.

Jack

Old 02-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Site Founder

Welcome to San Fransisco

Old 03-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Enthusiast

eak345

Any chance of getting some specifics about that hill? Angle, Grade, Fall ?

Perhaps a photo with the camera level of course.

I've just placed my order and NOW I discover that in 4 months, I might not be able to back out of my garage ??

Old 07-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

I can't think of a time when I might want to back up a hill, but, this thought occoured to me.. How bout if with one foot you pressed lightly on the brake pedal and the other on the gas? I say this because the other day I did that sitting still in the carport and the gas engine kicked in. Was showing it off to the neighbor and wanted him to hear the gas engine.

Just my idea/// Let me know what you think.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Tex,
The way the HSD works in reverse, any movement of the I.C.E. actually takes away power.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Texman@Jul 12th 2004 @ 4:09 PM
I can't think of a time when I might want to back up a hill
I have a neighbor with a VERY steep, narrow driveway. Whenever I pull in, it is not convienient (or safe) to back down, so I pull in forward. Backing up the drive is interesting, but not impossible. Folks in places like San Francisco are going to be more bound to this condition more than I am here in NY.

How aout if with one foot you pressed lightly on the brake pedal and the other on the gas?
I can't figure out why you would want to do this. As noted before (a few times), if the ICE runs, you REMOVE power available from the electrics for backing. You definately do NOT want the ICE running when you back up -= if you can help it - or if you have a serious incline to climb in reverse.

Sometimes the car defeats you with this and starts the ICE anyway - usually though, you can get it to turn off after a few seconds.

Jack

Old 07-30-2004, 01:47 AM
Enthusiast

I must admit, eak354 had me worried about my steep driveway.

With 4 months to wait, I had plenty of time to contemplate not being able to reverse up my driveway.

I have the car now and can safely say I was worried about nothing.

During my waiting time, I searched out the steepest possible street in my heighbourhood. You know, the kind with a "Steep Grade" warning sign.

I rolled down the hill to it's steepest point. Stopped, held my breath and put her into reverse. At around 2/3 pedal depression, she started to edge up the hill. Enough to get out of a jamb or to back up from a parked car or obstacle.

So I'm happy. Nevertheless, I can understand that a situation might arise (especially in places like SF).During my wait I did some extensive research and came up with the following based on wheel diameter, electric motor torque and gear ratios....

Max Forward grade from a dead stop = 46% (that's 46 rise over 100 length)
Max Reverse grade from dead stop = 40%
My driveway (only 24%, yet it still feels steep)

Old 07-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Contributor ($)

Thanks for the "research". I'm sure there may be other people that may have the same concerns and this should help them in their decision-making process.

Quick Reply: Uphill

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands