VSC only valuable in the winter? Anti-theft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default VSC only valuable in the winter? Anti-theft?

Is the VSC valuable outside the winter?

What is the anti-theft system? Alarm, lojack?

Great forum. Many thanks.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: VSC only valuable in the winter? Anti-theft?

VSC- couldn't really tell you since I don't have it... but I hear it's useful in all sorts of sticky situations, not just snow.

Anti-theft system is an alarm and engine immobilizer. It's passive which means you don't have to manually activate it, just switches on after you leave the car. No lo-jack is included, and glass breakage sensor is available from the dealer but costs a little extra.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

VSC can be a life saver. Don't drive home without it.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by galaxee
VSC- couldn't really tell you since I don't have it... but I hear it's useful in all sorts of sticky situations, not just snow.

Anti-theft system is an alarm and engine immobilizer. It's passive which means you don't have to manually activate it, just switches on after you leave the car. No lo-jack is included, and glass breakage sensor is available from the dealer but costs a little extra.
I bought a 2006 package #5 and it supposively comes with an alarm. I think this is different than the immobilizer. Don't all Prius' have the engine immobilizer? I'm not really sure what the alarm does that the immobilizer doesn't??? The only difference may be that an alarm sounds if someone breaks in. Hope I didn't pay much extra for this!

Also, I wish it was obvious when the alarm was on, ie: a blinking light. I like this because I know my car is locked even when far away. And I also like that a potential burgular would know that this car is alarmed. I know there is a blinking red car on the dash, but I think that relates to the SmartKey for any 2006 (not just ones with an alarm)...and this isn't much of a deterent.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

VSC works anytime the car starts sliding. Never tested it in an accident tho. Well worth it, IMO. Europe makes VSC mandatory and that's good enough for me.