What do you use to keep your vehicle clean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 02:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default What do you use to keep your vehicle clean?

I was wondering what products or techniques do you use to keep your car clean, inside and out. I was wondering what to use on the MFD screen and if there were any products out there you thought were convenient and easy to use to spruce up the car, say on a coffee break or on a lunch hour (kind of wondering about various "wipes" products that are out there and if they are any good)?

Obviously I am intersted in keeping this car as clean as possible all of the time. Keeping a car clean is a lot easier than cleaning up the mess every 3 months or so. Right?

Old 01-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeromeP
I was wondering what products or techniques do you use to keep your car clean, inside and out. I was wondering what to use on the MFD screen and if there were any products out there you thought were convenient and easy to use to spruce up the car, say on a coffee break or on a lunch hour (kind of wondering about various "wipes" products that are out there and if they are any good)?

Obviously I am intersted in keeping this car as clean as possible all of the time. Keeping a car clean is a lot easier than cleaning up the mess every 3 months or so. Right?
Care for it like any other car. COSTCO sells a good car wash "starter kit". Microfiber towels and a lambswool mitt are included.

Old 01-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Site Founder

The Prius, I have found, is rediculously easy to keep cleanish. Every few months I vacuum the inside of the car (very rarely, really). The display should be wiped with a towel and water... no more. I would dust the dash off as it tends to get speck-ee. By limiting the amount of food I eat in the car and being careful not to spill things, would you believe that 14 or so months in, I still have the "new car smell?" At least, that's what I'm told. I've gotten used to it by now.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:47 PM

It's not as if I have never maintained a car before, but I'm kind of interested in waxes or finish products and peoples' experiences with them. I'm looking for a good grade of wax which will go on easily and come off easily. And I'm wondering if anyone chooses to clean the alloy wheeles with any specific cleaners, or if they just wash them off with normal car soap?

Old 01-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

I'd recommend a mild soapy water to clean the dash. Using products that usually make dashes shine will only cause streaks on the dash of a prius.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Using products that usually make dashes shine will only cause streaks on the dash of a prius
That's good advice PriusTN, and for any car. Those products look great right after you apply them but are a dust-n-dirt magnet, especially if you stop using them later.

I’ll usually remove the dust that collects on the dash with a vacuum cleaner fitted with a soft dusting brush.
About every 10K miles (or when needed) I’ll wipe all plastic surfaces, along with the dashboard with a clean cotton towel dampened only with clean, warm water.
No soap or any other product.
If the dash is left with towel dust I’ll vacuum with the brush again.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

Your right just warm water should do it. ha, you only need the soap if you have build up. The first car I ever had, had one of those sticky dirty dashes....haha

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
That's good advice PriusTN, and for any car. Those products look great right after you apply them but are a dust-n-dirt magnet, especially if you stop using them later.

I’ll usually remove the dust that collects on the dash with a vacuum cleaner fitted with a soft dusting brush.
About every 10K miles (or when needed) I’ll wipe all plastic surfaces, along with the dashboard with a clean cotton towel dampened only with clean, warm water.
No soap or any other product.
If the dash is left with towel dust I’ll vacuum with the brush again.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:25 PM

i know you're talking about the interior but today i just cleaned the exterior and here's what i used:

first i cleaned it with armorall carwash wipes. I used 3 wipes to clean the entire car which had nasty salt on it and a few instances of bird poop.. cleaned the car well

next i used Meguir's Synthetic Polymer! Its better than wax for reasons I dont care to explain but it was pretty easy to apply: I just spread it on and wiped it off. The "curing" period was only 10-15 minutes and then I decided to test it. It had snowed so there was a bunch of wet crap all around and I went on the highway for about 40 minutes (to various places including Chili's with friends). After I came home at 10:40 pm, the car was IMMACULATE! I even checked the rear of the car where lots of grime splashed up and encrusts itself on the bumper.. COMPLETELY CLEAN! I was amazed... and then I thought there were 2 dirt specs on the side mirror, but it was just beaded water. Anyways... If you wanna keep your car shiny and clean I would recommend this and also Rain-X for the windows (i have to reapply that, it comes in wipes too). What I love best is that synthetic polymer shines more than just normal wax and creates a strong bond so you don't have to re-apply as often. It was 3 times as expensive however...

Old 01-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Old 01-30-2005, 11:53 AM