Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wind Noise

I notice sound at 75mph in the Prius rather than 65mph, but what's striking about the sound is 2 things:

1) The gas engine is so quiet, that's NORMALLY what I'd hear in a car at that speed, so

2) The silence makes any wind sound a little bit eery and

3) The "shape?" of the sound is different from most cars - it's more or less from all around me rather than a few spots (I assume because of the aerodynamics of the Prius).

Sometimes that wind sound freaks me out a little bit, but I'm still confident that it seems loud not because there's a lot of wind, but because I can't hear the gas engine at all and normally that would cover up the sound of air rushing by.

I have also noticed that a good waxing at the car wash reduces the volume of the sound... driving with a dirty car increases it.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:04 PM

Well the fluttering wind sound I hear is not all around me. It is most clearly from the front side windows.

I'm not sure what other cars you have driven but with most of mine, I would not hear this wind noise, even if they had a quiet engine. In fact, most other vehicle engines make less noise than the Prius at freeway speeds. As I said before, this is because bigger engines have to work less at higher speeds. At the same speed they use less RPM's than smaller engines like the Prius. Less RPM's equals less noise.

I may order a set of those wind deflector shields. If they do eliminate the wind noise then that will tell me the Prius doesn't have a very good window seal.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Enthusiast

I came here hoping for a fix. C'est la life.

Anyway, I hear this whistling sound too. To me it sounds like it's coming from the outside rear view mirror--maybe the wind going through the crack where the mirror housing rotates if someone clumsy (like me) bumps it. You think?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 PM

Wow, the thread is over a year old.

I still have the wind noise and it is not coming from the outside mirror. Most definately from the window seal.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

I realize that this is a very old post at this point but I wanted to put in my experience anyway. As an owner of a 2005 Prius I have to say that I also get wind noise. I find it annoying. I dont know what causes it but I doubt there is anything that can be done to stop it. I just listen to music and try to ignore it. I find it interesting that some people don't notice it at all, it can't just be on individual cars, it has to be on one or all. In my opinion, it is not air leaking, it's a result of a design flaw on the sides of the car. I love my Prius and wouldn't trade it in for this minor problem.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

About once a year I coat, lightly coat, my rubber door and windows seals with NAPA Sil-Glyde. Helps reduse wind noise significantly.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Janian

Hi Resist and fellow Prius owners.
Old boy in Prius world also has wind from closed window,also non heated side mirrors,plus a couple of other smaller gripes.
Could be why my car has the toy nobody will ever use :-self parking ?
This toy takes your mind off other problems.
Ever tried writing to Mr Toyota with any problem /
Will give you their answer and save you the trouble :-"never heard of it bfore".
All iall still by far the best car I have had this one being the 21s and last.
Good luck and take care.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

2008 Prius 90k miles. Wind noise stops when pushing on the molded speaker assembly (tall black triangle shape at bottom front of driver/passenger windows). I opened the door and viewed a cavity at the top of this assembly. Our wind noise was a whistle sound which is caused by rotating air - like in a police whistle. I gently inserted/stuffed several pieces of sponge/celled foam - or some material that compresses then expands, into the open top cavity using a flat bladed screwdriver. This disrupts the spinning air and stops the whistle. Don't know about other wind noises other than our whistle but it stopped our noise.