Follow-up to "Anyone know about the "2006" Insight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:31 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Follow-up to "Anyone know about the "2006" Insight?

Hi Insight Owners;

If you read the thread I listed above I would like to take this time to elaborate or clarify my questions or concerns about the purchase of the Honda Insight. I have read in this Forum and the Insight Central Forum about many-many comments about the mileage owners have gotten on their Insights. I would like to know under normal driving conditions with the A/C on and normal speeds either in town/city or interstate what kind of mileage does the 5-speed A/C Insight get then, not when it is driven at a really reduced speed and no A/C on to prove that the car can and will surpass the 61 and 66 MPG figures quoted on window sticker. I would also like to know is the Insight really that noisy at hwy. speeds like I have read in the two Forums, or simply not as quite as say my sedan Civic. Less insulation to me means you are going to have more interior noise. How about the factory sound system now that Honda has up-graded it to 4-spkrs. Have any of you had XM Satellite installed in your Insights? Does anyone know or checked or tried to check and see why Honda does not have a factory Cruise Control on the Insight by now? I have found out over the yrs. that if it does not come from the factory you had better beware of after market add on's if you don't want to have that factory warrany cancelled. BTW, the mileage I attained with my Honda Civic that I quoted on the other thread was gotten by setting the cruise control on 65 MPH and not passing other cars or using the A/C alot, infact I only turned the A/C on and off to keep the interior to some degree comfortable or less than "HOT" . The Civic is white on the outside and beige on the interior so that keeps it alot cooler than as you all know dark colors.
I do want to make sure that all of you that own Honda Insights that my questions are not meant to be hurtful, sarcastic, or to belittle you as owners of the Honda Insight or the vehicle but simply to help me know the real story or facts on driving the Insight in a normal manner and at real world speeds. So, if I have offended anyone you have my apology now and believe me that is and was never my intention.
Terry

BTW, Do many of you own the newer 2004 or 2005 Insights?

Old 05-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Follow-up to "Anyone know about the "2006" Insight?

Hi Terry,

As an owner of a 2005 Insight 5-speed with A/C, let's see how many of your questions I can answer.

I drive to maximize mileage, but I do drive the posted speed limits. It may take me a little longer to get up to speed, but I eventually get there.

Only three tanks so far, but my mileage stats are:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/...r-shocker.html

I do use the A/C, when it's just me in the car, I cycle it. Similar to what you did in your Civic. If my wife or friends are riding in the car, it stays on, and I watch the MPG's drop. As the temps go up the A/C will be used more, and expect to drop to the low 70's. Doesn't totally answer your question, but I don't have many miles on the car yet.

The sound system is still the same, Honda just upgraded the head unit to a CD player and added two more lousy rear speakers. I used the fader and turned off the rears and replaced the door speakers with Infinitys from Crutchfield. It's better, but not great. The stock rear speakers are worthless. Maybe one day I'll add an aftermarket head unit and small amp.

I have heard of other people installing satellite radio, a search should give a few hits.

Cruise - I wish Honda would install it, with the option to choose a set mph or mpg. Aftermarket units are out there.

Road noise - it's not my wife's Acura TL, doesn't ride as smooth or as quiet. It's a small, light two-seater. And drives and sounds like one. It is louder than most luxury cars, but thats not a fair comparsion.
I believe it is acceptable, but noticable.
Turn the stereo up, and everything is fine.
All kidding aside, I believe the road surface makes the largest impact on the interior sound level.

A few months ago I was excited as I waited for my new Insight to be delivered. Now that I've had it for awhile, I'm still as excited. It's an incredible car.

For people like you, Honda really needs to make more cars available for test drives to answer your basic questions about the car. Have Insight demo cars at select dealers in the prime market areas. Have salespeople that are really up on all the features.
When I bought mine, it was a leap of faith. I had only driven a used CVT Insight, with a drained main battery. But the different forums around gave me enough info to make up my mind. I don't regret the purchase.

p.s. Adding a center armrest really helps with comfort.

Regards,

Old 05-23-2005, 08:06 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Follow-up to "Anyone know about the "2006" Insight?

Originally Posted by hawkGT647
Hi Terry,

As an owner of a 2005 Insight 5-speed with A/C, let's see how many of your questions I can answer.

I drive to maximize mileage, but I do drive the posted speed limits. It may take me a little longer to get up to speed, but I eventually get there.

Only three tanks so far, but my mileage stats are:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/...r-shocker.html

I do use the A/C, when it's just me in the car, I cycle it. Similar to what you did in your Civic. If my wife or friends are riding in the car, it stays on, and I watch the MPG's drop. As the temps go up the A/C will be used more, and expect to drop to the low 70's. Doesn't totally answer your question, but I don't have many miles on the car yet.

The sound system is still the same, Honda just upgraded the head unit to a CD player and added two more lousy rear speakers. I used the fader and turned off the rears and replaced the door speakers with Infinitys from Crutchfield. It's better, but not great. The stock rear speakers are worthless. Maybe one day I'll add an aftermarket head unit and small amp.

I have heard of other people installing satellite radio, a search should give a few hits.

Cruise - I wish Honda would install it, with the option to choose a set mph or mpg. Aftermarket units are out there.

Road noise - it's not my wife's Acura TL, doesn't ride as smooth or as quiet. It's a small, light two-seater. And drives and sounds like one. It is louder than most luxury cars, but thats not a fair comparsion.
I believe it is acceptable, but noticable.
Turn the stereo up, and everything is fine.
All kidding aside, I believe the road surface makes the largest impact on the interior sound level.

A few months ago I was excited as I waited for my new Insight to be delivered. Now that I've had it for awhile, I'm still as excited. It's an incredible car.

For people like you, Honda really needs to make more cars available for test drives to answer your basic questions about the car. Have Insight demo cars at select dealers in the prime market areas. Have salespeople that are really up on all the features.
When I bought mine, it was a leap of faith. I had only driven a used CVT Insight, with a drained main battery. But the different forums around gave me enough info to make up my mind. I don't regret the purchase.

p.s. Adding a center armrest really helps with comfort.

Regards,
Don;
Thanks for the info. on the insight and thankfully in my case I am friends with all the sells mgrs. at the Darrell Waltrip Honda dealership in Franklin, TN. and have purchased to say the least alot of Hondas from them over the yrs. One of the mgrs. that I know real well got the Honda Factory rep. to place a sold order so they could get the insight for me to test drive and see if I really wanted one or not. I will have to really see some positives about the insight after owning the civic that I have now and the fact that I now know the civic will get in the high 45-50 MPG range if I drive like I have some sense and not like the world is on fire if I'm not in there fighting for position on the interstate. I have found that if I slow up 5MPH and simply let the fast cats go on that you can really get some serious MPG and still get to your destination in plenty of time and a whole lot better mood. So, if the civic can do what I have seen it do I have no reason to think that the insight would not be way ahead of the numbers that the civic has done and BTW the civic only had on it 2300 miles when I made the trip to KY. and it got the 48.6MPG at 65MPH on cruise without any passing and running the A/C full time, only cycling it on and off to keep the interior cool enough to be tolerable or should I say not burn one up. I had XM Satellite radio installed in the civic and it has a really terrific factory sound system and it sounds like the insight "SUCKS". I really do not want to trade my 2005 for another 2005 so even if I am impressed with the insight I am going to have to or should I say going to wait and get the 2006 insight because either way one is going to take a hit trading so you may as well move up a yr.
BTW I appreciate your comments and hope to talk again with you and other forum members.
Got to tell you I was a little afraid that the insight oweners would rise up and take the offensive when I was asking the real world facts on the insights mileage and shall we say, not so other endearing qualities. Noise etc. etc.

Terry

Edit, MPG change from 48.3 to 48.6 correct

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-23-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Terry, I sure hope that I didn't make you timid about asking questions in any of my past posts... surely you are a welcome and valued member of our community.

As you know, us persons who really try to maximize MPG with some sacrifices are only a small minority and your questions about the Insight are certainly valid.

I appreciate your inquiries, as well as anyone else who may find any replies helpful.
I am also very interested.

PS
I still think you are doing great in your EX!

Old 05-24-2005, 05:09 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Follow-up to "Anyone know about the "2006" Insight?

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Terry, I sure hope that I didn't make you timid about asking questions in any of my past posts... surely you are a welcome and valued member of our community.

As you know, us persons who really try to maximize MPG with some sacrifices are only a small minority and your questions about the Insight are certainly valid.

I appreciate your inquiries, as well as anyone else who may find any replies helpful.
I am also very interested.

PS
I still think you are doing great in your EX!
Hello, Hot_Georgia_2004

I have a question for you, what is your first name if you do not mind saying?

I appreciate you answering my questions earlier and to let you know that , (No) you did not frighten or cause me to be (Timid) about asking questions on the forum. I think I'll take a minute and let everyone know a little of my back ground and I think that will let you know that it would take alot to make me (Timid) about asking questions or answering questions. I was in the Army for 3-Yrs. and the last yr. was spent in Viet Nam as a 60-Caliber machine gunner on a P/C.; then 17yrs. with IBM in Customer Engineering, sells for 13/14 yrs., pawn shop mgr. for 7 yrs. and now I am at a car dealership in admin. ,so I think this will let you see, I have to say the least been around the block (So-TO-Speak).

Now that I have shared some history with everyone I would like to take a moment and try to further explain my prior comments on the other threads. I just wanted to make sure that the insight owners did not take my matter of fact questions as being cute, clever or simply trying to edge owners into a defensive position on their insights as to where they would fill inclined to defend their purchases and or their insights. Meaning, as has been pointed out before in forums, you have to be aware of what you say and how you word your comments and questions because the people reading your words (Cannot-See-You) or hear the tone in your voice and there fore take what you wrote in words completely the wrong way.

So, I just wanted to make sure or try to make sure that insight owners realized that I (Don'T-Own) an insight and there fore have to ask very matter of fact questions and hoped that everyone would not read something else into them.

I did remember one thing while at the office today and that is, is there suppose to be for 2006 a new "Insight 2"? I remember reading that one of the I think Euro Mags. had it listed as a new insight for 2006.
Any up-dates that anyone knows about?

After reading comments about the insight factory stereo and spkrs. it sounds like to me that the solution to the factory system would be to replace the head unit and all 4-spkrs. with a new AM/FM/XM Satellite head unit and upgraded spkrs.
Anyone agree or already done this?

BTW if anyone is interested I have read that there is going to be a 2006 insight produced but nothing about changes or upgrades to it or anything about the "Insight-2".
Terry

Old 05-24-2005, 09:59 PM

Terry,
My name is Steve in the country side North of Atlanta, Ga.

BTW I commend you for your service, personally I hold a special respect for those who served. In 1970 I was only 9 years old and I thank you for you part.

So far Greenhybrid has been a meeting place for a very special group of people. What I mean is that (I believe) you will find the members here generally have a different attitude than most other forums on the net.

I know what you mean by peoples defensive attitude in general.
For example, I've expressed my opinion on seemingly explosive environmental topics on other forums (Hybrid cars, Edmunds etc) and recieved no less than death threats to me & my family.
I really like to help people with tips on better FE and made the mistake of posting some at Edmunds. Sadly, I've stopped posting tips there for only jeers, false statements and ridicule. Life is better than that.

I know many if not most folks here at greenhybrid disagree with me about some topics but so far I've been respected for my views, as I also respect theirs.

That's the main reason I keep coming back.
The people here are really that great.

Now if I can only figure out how to fix my signiture!!

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 05-25-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Contributor ($)

tigerhonaker wrote,
I did remember one thing while at the office today and that is, is there suppose to be for 2006 a new "Insight 2"? I remember reading that one of the I think Euro Mags. had it listed as a new insight for 2006.
Any up-dates that anyone knows about?
I think you are thinking about the IMAS concept car.
http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow...3/page010.html

There has been no word so far about this actually being produced for consumers.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:40 PM
G.H. Contributor
Smile Re: Follow-up to "Anyone know about the "2006" Insight?

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Terry,
My name is Steve in the country side North of Atlanta, Ga.

BTW I commend you for your service, personally I hold a special respect for those who served. In 1970 I was only 9 years old and I thank you for you part.

So far Greenhybrid has been a meeting place for a very special group of people. What I mean is that (I believe) you will find the members here generally have a different attitude than most other forums on the net.

I know what you mean by peoples defensive attitude in general.
For example, I've expressed my opinion on seemingly explosive environmental topics on other forums (Hybrid cars, Edmunds etc) and recieved no less than death threats to me & my family.
I really like to help people with tips on better FE and made the mistake of posting some at Edmunds. Sadly, I've stopped posting tips there for only jeers, false statements and ridicule. Life is better than that.

I know many if not most folks here at greenhybrid disagree with me about some topics but so far I've been respected for my views, as I also respect theirs.

That's the main reason I keep coming back.
The people here are really that great.

Now if I can only figure out how to fix my signiture!!
So;

Steve is the name and that sure is easier to type than Hot_Georgia_2004. I like the way you talk and yes I have been in the other forums and thats why I was using all the caution (If-Not-A-Little-Overboard) on this Insight Forum Thread.

I find it interesting that on the front end the forums say, ask and you shall receive all our support and assistance that we have at our disposal, until you ask the wrong pointed question or make that very pointed comment that everyone already knows is so true about the vehicle in question but know one wants to here about it from the (Newbie).

I had a call on my cell from the rep at Honda and was unable to get back in contact with him tonight, so left him a V/M on his cell. I wonder if he had further info. on the incoming Insight to his dealership. Guess I will found out tomorrow.

Say, do you think Honda will make any changes to the 2006 Insight or just carry it over again?

I really-really wish they would install "Cruise" on it. OH-WELL

BTW did I miss asking you what you own? Is it the van?

I have noticed that there is or should I say it appears like never many people on the Insight Forum at one time talking back and forth like alot of the other Forums.
Exam: NewBeetle.orgForums

I was and still am interested in the PD TDI W/DSG Trans. Beetle. So I have been on that forum a bunch and there are 50 to 100 people on it at anytime.

If your interested in other FE vehicles, VW has just released Pics. of the new designed 2006 Beetle. On the WWW.NewBeetle.OrgForums

Later

Old 05-25-2005, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the compliment Terry.

I wish I knew more about the upcoming Insight models, perhaps another member can chime in?

I own an '04 HCH and a '01 Grand Caravan.
The HCH is primarily my commuter car (96 miles round trip) while the Mrs takes the Caravan to her work. Both vehicles are also used for family excursions.

Have a good day!

Old 05-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributor ($)

tigerhonaker,
You asked many questions which I want to address more better. I hope these answers help you in your decision. As I have said in other posts, I really hope you get a chance to test drive one so that you can see, hear , and experience the Insight yourself.

I have noticed that there is or should I say it appears like never many people on the Insight Forum at one time talking back and forth like a lot of the other Forums.
There are definitely less Insight owners discussing topics here, but then again there are simply less Insight owners compared to VW Beetle owners. (Did you see that only 7 Insights were sold in the US in January?) Even the Yahoo Groups for Insight owners and Honda Owners are much less prolific than the Prius Groups.

I really-really wish they would install "Cruise" on it..
I have aftermarket cruise installed on my Insight, but honestly I have probably used it less than 15 times in the 18 months I've owned my Insight. If someone wants to get it installed they could do check around their local area to see how much it would cost. I haven't heard anything about it voiding my warranty. In fact I had warranty work done and never had a problem.

I would like to know under normal driving conditions with the A/C on and normal speeds either in town/city or interstate what kind of mileage does the 5-speed A/C Insight get
When I first got my Insight I drove this way and got in the high 50s very low 60s. Look at the greenhybrid real mileage database and read some of the details people provide for each tank. Specifically look at details the person provides about "driving strategy". Two examples. A person from California who said they drive 72 mph was getting in the mid 50s. Another person from Florida who stated they don't have any strategy is getting high 50s.

I would also like to know is the Insight really that noisy at hwy. speeds
I think this is a relative sort of question. Compared to what? How quiet do you need it? I can listen to the radio just fine. I can hear people when I'm talking to them. It's quieter than my Honda Civic Wagon was. It's quieter than my Colt Vista Wagon was. It's not as quiet as the Accord Hybrid. I'm not sure if any of these comparisons help?

How about the factory sound system now that Honda has up-graded it to 4-spkrs. Have any of you had XM Satellite installed in your Insights
I am not a picky person when it comes to stereos, so I can't elaborate on this one for you. Sounds o.k. to me, but there are others who do not like it.
nal preference prevails.