Great News: IMA Battery Warrenty Extension

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Great News: IMA Battery Warrenty Extension

Hi Rob,

I am good for that thanks. HP's editors are really good about that sort of thing! LOL! But if you don't care to wait for the issue to come out, just email your q's if you run into trouble. Working the pack is not hard, it's just time consuming. Have a second car to use for a month or two as well!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Great News: IMA Battery Warrenty Extension

Originally Posted by electriclamb
Hi Hal,

I have 6 poorly performing sticks out of 20 in the pack. I have not replaced them just yet. I found a deal at a junk yard pretty far from me but the guy makes a parts run my way a few times a month and will be bringing me pack. I also want to see how the rebalancing of the whole pack effects the bad sticks first. I never blindly trust other peoples stories on how these things work (LOL).

So far the pack (with the questionable sticks) is noticably better since the tear down and reassembly last month. MPG is consistantly over 48mpg now and the car is much more "peppy." But the pack still runs down after about 20 minutes of hills and fails to recharge all the way by engine power alone.

I figured this would happen so during the rebuilding last month I also built a whole pack charger of my own to "top off" the pack when I come home for the night. It's just a 120:48 volt transformer I reversed the primary for the secondary windings and added a bridge rectifier and capacitor to, very simple. Add a lamp timer to turn it off automatically after a few hours. It charges at about 1 amp and gives me a totally full pack in about 4 hours as long as the dashboard indicator is only about 5 bars low. I can tell when the cells are really full by a slight temperature increase on the poor sticks, which I placed them near the base of the battery holder so I can touch the sides of them to see how warm they are compared to the other cells as the charging comes to an end. If they are still cool-ish I turn on the charger for a little more time.

The external charger is especially important to me since Honda's battery controller only allows the pack to charge to 80% or so but indicates a full charge on the dash gauge.

I do all my own maintenance (just naturally cheap I guess). I also have considerable electrical experience. But really anyone could do this type of work as long as you are careful and have a multimeter to test for hot things. Aside from that, all you need is a 10mm socket and a phillips screwdriver, and of course, the time and will to do it.