Insight 2000 Auto-Stop and Bucking/Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Insight 2000 Auto-Stop and Bucking/Hesitation

I first posted in 2007 and have had 7 wonderful years since with this car. My car now has 98K. I had the IMA battery replaced 2 1/2 years ago. After the battery replacement, the mpg dropped quite a bit (from 65+ on long trips to 58).

This car is 5-speed and does not have A/C.

Over several years the car has been doing some bucking and hesitating (less when at higher speeds), and then in the past few months going into auto-stop when the car is not fully warmed up, and stalling when I try to come out of auto-stop. My mechanic replaced two corroded ground strap wires on driver's side 2 weeks ago after starting the car became very difficult, lots of stalling, backfire sounds and some grinding/clicking sounds indicating it was reluctant to start at all. The small battery was replaced about 1 month ago.

The replacement of the wires has helped a lot, but the car is still going into auto-stop when it shouldn't and then stalling (sometimes but not always) when resuming out of auto-stop.

The codes before the straps were replaced were P1568 Battery Module Temperature Signal Circuit Problem and P1600 IMA System General Malfunction. The mechanic's test drive after the repair produced no problems. I am now continuing test driving to gather more information about the problems. Intermittent stalling has continued out of auto-stop, but the car performed very well at higher speeds yesterday. There have a been a few instances since the straps were replaced of the engine light and brake light coming on at the same time (while driving), but only lasting for several minutes. This has not happened in the past two days.

I have known for a number of years now that this wonderful car wants to be driven out on the highway more than I have occasion for high speed driving. I take one 2000 mile round-trip per year and several 600 mile round-trips, otherwise city driving.

I have been doing some reading on different discussion boards and have had some thoughts about things that might need to be replaced.

Fuel pump - Fuel injection system cleaned
Brake switch on the brake pedal
Temperature sensor/s,
or that it might be more complicated indicating that one of the Computer Control Modules needs to be replaced.

What do these two codes indicate that needs to be replaced/repaired?

Any and all suggestions welcomed! I would love to reach 300K by the time I am 98!

Last edited by susan.jones insight.2000; 12-31-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: adding more details